Ultimate Fuel System Thread / Poll

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Please select from your current configuration

I use a gascolator and have not had any problems (or burps small enough that it does not bother me)
47%
I use a gascolator and have had problems (severe burps / engine out's / lack of confidence)
19%
I do not use a gascolator and have had no problems
26%
I do not use a gascolator and have still had problems
7%
I have tried several things and cannot solve the problem no matter what i try
2%

Total votes : 43

Re: Ultimate Fuel System Thread / Poll

Postby mike.smith » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:05 pm

rizzz wrote:
gammaxy wrote:What are those with no gascolator doing for a drain? How often do you open the filter to inspect it?

From what I remember reading on the yahoo groups, Sonex now recommends not installing a gascolator which would mean they don't think draining is required. They recommend the fuel line as short as possible and go in a straight line (as much as possible) from the tank down to the aeroinjector.

I believe the theory is that with the plastic fuel tank there is much less chance of condensation compared to aluminium tanks. You'll need to search the yahoo groups (which is a pain) where this was discussed.
(I'll do my best to try and find Jeremy's original post).

The thought is any water is going to go through the AeroInjector or carb in the first minute after startup, the fuel line being so short. As for sediments, that's another issue. If anyone knows where to find a clear glass or plastic fuel filter WITH NPT FITTINGS, I'd like to know. MANY out there without NPT fittings. I have found none "with."

Mike Smith
Sonex #439
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby SonexN76ET » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Here is a glass fuel filter with NPT fittings, however they are only 1/8 NPT, I am still trying to find one with 1/4 NPT fittings:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ep/ ... lineff.php
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby kukurt728 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:16 pm

Sonex A model tail dragger ,jabiru 3300 with aero injector 2.5 needle straight 100ll avgas…
from the main fuel tank fuel shut off valve-gasolator- tee sample drain valve- mechanical fuel pump- fuel regulator- fuel flow meter- aero injector in between components are braided hoses with protection sleeves.
i get burped on take off , once i accelerate.idles fine and test wide open throttle on ground no burping.
i used to have midair burping since i installed the heat shield plate for aero injector and i use aluminum tape to cover the fuel pump, gassolator,fuel regulator and flow meter it went away .

is there any suggestions there?

mike
kukurt728

Previous

Return to Sonex