Toe-in on axles.

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Toe-in on axles.

Postby kxw2x2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:32 pm

OK folks I'm really stupid so help me out. I'm using the bushing tool to set the Toe-in and I'm at 7 degrees which must be correct. However why do the plans call for .7 degrees? Are you guys happy using the axle bushing tool?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
kxw2x2

Re: Toe-in on axles.

Postby kevinh » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Hmm - you definitely want 0.7 not 7. I haven't drilled my lower axles yet (need to find a long piece of angle first) but when I test fit the bushing tool it sure looked to make a tiny angle (not 7 deg).
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby kxw2x2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:59 pm

I have my angle clamped to each axle the angle contacts both forward weldments and the outside edge of the bushing tool.
kxw2x2

Postby kmacht » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:10 pm

It's been a few years since I did mine but I think the bar is only supposed to touch the bushing and the tip of the axle. If it is touching the weldments or any other part of the gear it will be off. I had to use pieces of 1/8 aluminum as spacers at the bushing and the tip to get the bar away from the rest of the gear. I ultimately ended up abandoning the bushing method and switched to where you make some 8' channels out of 2x4's and sandwich the tires inside the channel. I found it to be way more accurate and easier.

Keith
kmacht

Postby gammaxy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:37 pm

The 0.7 degrees is correct. Double-check the drawing in the plans that shows how to do it. Keith's comment is correct.

I like the method shown in the plans with the spacer. I'm confident you can get good results with it as long as the axles don't twist any while you drill. I used shims to get the axles pretty tight on the legs and then duct-taped them in position once I had the toe-in set. Then I removed the legs and drilled them on my drill press.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby kxw2x2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:46 pm

I just tried again and my angle will not contact both front axle ends and the bushing tools because of the weldment. I have an email into Sonex and hopefully a solution. I know of other ways to get the correct toe-in but I'll wait to hear from Sonex. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
kxw2x2

Re:

Postby NWade » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:08 am

As others have said, you need to use a spacer to get the right measurement without the weldments being a problem. Here are some photos of how I did it. I had a problem with my gear legs/engine mount, but the process I used is sound. The first 4 or 5 photos are the ones to pay attention to: https://flic.kr/s/aHskTznwbd

Enjoy,

--Noel
Sonex #1339
NWade

Postby kxw2x2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks very much for the pictures. Looks like a doable process. Your comments are helpful. Thank for contributing.
kxw2x2

Return to Sonex