Fuel filler 'condom'

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Fuel filler 'condom'

Postby kevinh » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:13 pm

So out of curiosity/fun I thought I'd try 3d printing an insert for my fuel filler neck. To catch any overfill and let it drain out the bottom. This is just a test print but for the real thing I think it will work pretty well (though I guess I won't know for a few more months). I used a flexible fuel resistant plastic (TPU).

Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Re: Fuel filler 'condom'

Postby Brett » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Looks good..... I ended up just riveting in some off cut Ali and sealing with a fuel proof sealant... amazing what these printers can make now. I love the air vents Peter printed and distributes for the Sonex also.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby DCASonex » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:13 am

Looks great. If you find it holds up and want to make and sell more, likely no shortage of customers. I do not like metal plates for this as the neck does move slightly with variable fuel and G loads. I currently use a fabric re-enforced sheet of silicone material for this but difficult to keep bonded in place.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:22 am

Hi all, kevin,
Yes if you could make some more and take orders, if your willing, im sure we'd all like to order one!

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby sonexsteve » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:47 pm

I want one too! Please....
sonexsteve

Postby Waiex 49 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Looks like a nice product. This would do a good job of fixing an engineering / design error on Sonex's part. Allowing a passage for spilt fuel to enter the cockpit is not good.

Your photo shows the part fitted to the fuel tank that has not been installed on the plane.

You might try installing it after the tank is in the aircraft and the filler neck is in the fuel filler box.

On my aluminum version, I had to re-do the main hole opening to be more of an oblong shape as the part had to go at an angle to get it into the fuel filler box and over the fuel filler neck.

Keep at it! I think you are on to something good that many builders would like to add to their Sonex aircraft.
Waiex 49

Postby kevinh » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Yah - it seems to fit nicely in the aluminum neck (and it is flexible so you can squeeze it in). Alas - I'm not sure about selling them because this material is very slow to print (almost a day on the machine). If I did sell them I'd need to sell it at a pretty high price ($60 each).
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
kevinh

Postby lstinthot » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:51 am

kevinh wrote:Yah - it seems to fit nicely in the aluminum neck (and it is flexible so you can squeeze it in). Alas - I'm not sure about selling them because this material is very slow to print (almost a day on the machine). If I did sell them I'd need to sell it at a pretty high price ($60 each).

Would you be interested in sharing your file? What software are you using? Solidworks is free for EAA members. I have downloaded it, but not very proficient at it yet.

One place people are sharing files is here
https://grabcad.com/library/software/solidworks

Thanks,
Mike
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Postby kevinh » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 am

Sure - I added a link here (I've been using onshape because I like it better than solidworks): viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3909&p=29697#p29697
kevinh

Return to Sonex