The dreaded fuel tank, a pleasant surprise

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

The dreaded fuel tank, a pleasant surprise

Postby kevinh » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi ya'll,

So I had been dreading seeing how my fuel tank / filler neck / upper firewall fit together. After reading so many horror stories about getting the tank to fit. OMG - I must have lucked out and got an especially nicely molded tank. It isn't strapped in yet, but the test fit looked really good. With nice clearance for the cap etc... It really helped to have all of your tips about mounting the glareshield as high as possible.

Related question: How long did ya'll wait before riveting in the firewall and glareshield? I'm generally a fan of keeping keeping access open as long as possible but as I move onto the windscreen and putting on the gear it seems like I can't wait much longer...

Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Re: The dreaded fuel tank, a pleasant surprise

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:08 pm

The fit of your tank looks great! I must have lucked out as well; mine fit just fine back in the day with no issues.

As for the firewall and glareshield...this is just my two cents so take it for what it's worth, but when you need to rivet the firewall go for it, but I'd hold off on the glareshield as long as possible. Having access behind the panel as you wire things up will really be helpful. If I were to do things over, the last two panels I would install would be that bottom tailcone skin and the glareshield (obviously waiting on the windshield as well in that case). Well, now that I think about it, having the fuel tank in place to fabricate the fuel lines will be necessary, so I guess I'll adjust my statement to say that I wouldn't install my glareshield permantely until the panel was just about done and wired up.

Again, just my two cents! If you'd rather lay on your back in the seat and work on things upside down, that's your choice!! :)
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby kevinh » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:03 am

Thanks Mike - that helps a lot! -Kevin
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby dirkverdonck » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:12 am

Hi,
First I added nutplates to install the glareshield and made the panel removable so I will be able to access wiring and instruments without removing rivets!
I temporarily installed the fuel tank to do the plumbing work, removed it to do the wiring and installed it all again afterwards. Also, a plexiglass firewall was installed at that time to allow to gestimate the best location for the firewall penetrations and the installation of all the stuff on the 'hot side' of the firewall.
All that took a little time but the end result is a firewall which does not look like Swiss cheese and everything is in the right place. Do it once correctly and you'll be happy for the time spent afterwareds.
Attachments
instrument panel.JPG
removable instrument panel
Fuel System.JPG
plexi firewall
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:17 am

Dirk,
Cool idea!
Kevin,
My glareshield and filler neck are not riveted yet. I see no rush to do so!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Sonex