Forward Visibility

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Forward Visibility

Postby Paul Johnson » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:24 pm

I have just purchased a flying Sonex 3300 tri gear so I have something to fly whilst I build my Sonex B, I only have the tail kit at the moment and have not started it due to other commitments. The main reason for purchasing a flying aircraft was that I had sold my present aircraft and thought it would scratch the itch one way or the other in my pursuit of a Sonex which I have admired since 2007 when I had completed my RV 8. The itch is scratched but for the forward visibility especially during landing, I have a lot of glare reflecting in the windshield, the combing is dull so should not impact that much, the main problem is that the windshield just seems difficult to see through and has a detrimental effect on depth perception. I can not think this to be normal as I have to use peripheral vision to land, if anybody has any suggestion I would gladly like to hear.
Paul Johnson

Re: Forward Visibility

Postby rbarber » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:34 pm

What is the glare shield covered with? A black non reflective cloth is the usual fix. Just a guess at the issue...

R.
N157SX (Sexy Hexy)
rbarber

Postby kevinh » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:11 pm

Hi Paul,

Glad to have another fellow former RV builder here. I bet you'll have a great time, I'm digging my waiex build.
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby Paul Johnson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:31 am

Thank you for the replies, my first plan of action is to clean and polish the windshield, the glare shield is covered in a grey type material that matches the side panels, the aircraft is fitted with a Sonex interior not the newer nylon but more of a velour. I do sit quite high in the aircraft as it does not have the lower seat mod, could it be that I am just looking through more lexan than I should or would this not make a difference.
My best description of the view through the windshield is that of a poor quality movie.

The RV8 is hard to beat but the Sonex is a real sporty aircraft to fly.
Paul Johnson

Postby peter anson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:00 am

Hi Paul, yes the forward visibility is that bad. At my home airfield the sealed runway is very narrow and nearly disappears just before touchdown. I can usually get a glimpse of it by jamming my head as high and far to the left as I can. I can live with it unless there is a low sun causing extra glare, and it doesn't have to be directly in front either. I have now done over 560 landings so it can't be that bad, but to my mind it is a major flaw in the design. There was some discussion on another post about the difficulty of getting the correct tint polycarbonate in Australia for making a replacement windshield, but if I do replace the windshield I will be using clear poly in the hope of improving forward visibility.

Peter
Sonex 894
324 hours
peter anson

Postby Paul Johnson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:30 am

Peter,

Thank's for the input, I believe your aircraft has a tail wheel, mine is a of the nose wheel variety so I do not lose the runway on landing, I have difficulty in all phases of flight but more so on the landing or descending with terrain in the windshield were clarity through the perspex canopy is far superior.
Paul Johnson

Postby builderflyer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:57 am

Paul,

That Sonex supplied glareshield material has a bit of sheen to it that makes it unacceptable for its intended purpose. I sprayed mine with a flat black cloth paint and that made a world of difference. Also, if not already done, spray the exposed part of the back of the upper firewall with flat black paint. You'll be happy with the improved visibility out front once both of these items are done.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jab3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby peter anson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:04 am

Hi Paul, I agree with Art's advice, especially about painting the exposed parts of the firewall.

Part of your problem might just be the different perspective from flying an RV. I took control in a friend's RV6 a while back and found that I was tending to climb all the time because I wasn't used to being able to see so far below the horizon.

For what it's worth, when my Sonex is in straight and level flight, the horizon appears "2 or 3 inches" above the top of the firewall. I don't know how to describe that better, but the horizon appears about halfway up the fuel vent tube ( I have the top vent). I have only flown in one other Sonex and that was several years ago so I don't know if that is the usual view. Anyone else??? If you can't see that much I guess it would indicate that the wings are rigged a little flatter than mine. Even though I can see a little below the horizon, a bit of distortion in the dark windshield makes the view fairly indistinct.

Peter
peter anson

Postby Fastcapy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:25 am

My opinion is that it is due to the amount of slope on the windshield as you are looking through that much more material. Now add the tint to the mix and you have a design that gives poor forward visibility.

I have issues picking out traffic in the pattern that is directly in front of me through the windshield, to the point where I will put it in a quick slip or small s-turn so I can see out canopy instead of the windshield. I can then normally pick out traffic through the canopy whereas I can't see them through the windshield.

I also do a lot of slips on final especially at dusk and night to give me a better sight picture of the runway.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Paul Johnson » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:48 pm

Mike,

What you describe is identical to my situation. Art the forward corners of the firewall have not been painted so I will give that a try.
Paul Johnson

Next

Return to Sonex