Connecting the flap push rods

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Connecting the flap push rods

Postby Rick524 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:23 pm

I'm getting ready to mount my wings on my Sonex 'A' model and wonder if anyone has come up with
an easier way to access the flap linkage? Maybe with an inspection hole on the under side of the wing?
It looks like a tight spot to reach.

Thanks!

Rick
Sonex 524
Rick524

Re: Connecting the flap push rods

Postby kmacht » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Other than doing the mod to the root rib there isn't really a good way. Make sure everything in that area is deburred really well before putting the wings on. Your hands will thank you.

If you know a kid, small hands are the best solution....

Keith
kmacht

Postby Waiex 49 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Getting to the flap push rod bolts can be a real challenge.
I made a few mods to help with this. Some "approved" by Sonex, some not.

Sonex suggests cutting away the area in the wing root rib between the 4" hole and the 3" hole. This is a good idea and it gives improved access.

My plane had the stock brake lever mounted on the pilot's side. The base of this lever is directly in front of the area you are trying to access. I ditched the stock drum brakes and single lever for Sonex disc brakes and toe brake pedals. I never liked the stock brake lever and it really makes it difficult to get to the left side flap push rods. Getting rid of the stock brake lever improves the access to this area and I really like having toe brake pedals just like a real airplane.

I made access panel cutouts on the underside of the wings. This really improves access to these bolts. Much nicer than having to lie updside down on your backside and trying to squeeze your hands into the wing root access holes. This mod is not approved by Sonex (as if I care).

Other things you can do to make installing / removing the wings easier:

Sonex authorizes using trailer hitch pins instead of the AN bolts for the main spars attach points. This makes the job much easier.

I made up some taper pins from 3/8" bolts. It can be tough to get the wings to line up exactly enough for bolts or hitch pins to go through. Get the wings lined up close enough and then gently drive in the taper pins and the spars will line up perfectly for the bolts or hitch pins.

I found getting access to the aft spar bolts to be a challenge. You are supposed to access the aft end throuh a hole in a vertical channel just aft of the spar. Mine don't line up correctly, so I ended up cutting away a small portion of the upper flanged section of aluminum sheet just aft of the aft spar channel. Now I can get a wrench on the nut while I turn the bolt from the forward end.

Photos of all this can be seen on my web page -> http://www.mykitlog.com/donbowen
Look for the link on the right called "MOVING". This is where I moved the plane from one hangar to another during the rebuild process and had to remove and reinstall the wings for a second time (first time was out in the field, after my AeroVee crapped out on me and I had to dead stick it into an abandoned airfield).

Best of luck with your project,

Don Bowen
Viking Waiex N49YX
Waiex 49

Postby n982sx » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:41 pm

Here's a picture of the mod that a lot of us have done. You can see the area between the two lightening holes in the forward root rib has been removed.

This made it a lot easier to install.
Bob Meyers

Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Built and Flying RV-14 N626KM http://n626km.com
n982sx

Return to Sonex