Instrument Panel

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Instrument Panel

Postby Paul Johnson » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:45 pm

I am considering buying a used Legacy Sonex and would like to replace the instrument panel, is this a straight forward process or is it part of the structure.
Last edited by Paul Johnson on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Johnson

Re: Instrument Pael

Postby vwglenn » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:52 pm

That is a pretty loaded question but I'll say that rearranging my panel wasn't hard at all. Mine is non-standard though.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby Paul Johnson » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:40 pm

Sorry, question was not meant to be loaded, all I want to know is the replacement of the instrument panel easy or do I have to start drilling out rivets?
Paul Johnson

Postby fastj22 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Paul Johnson wrote:Sorry, question was not meant to be loaded, all I want to know is the replacement of the instrument panel easy or do I have to start drilling out rivets?

If built to plans, you will need to drill out rivets. But plenty (most) of builders have deviated from the plans to "improve" the panel.
As plans built, the crossmember is structural and keeps the sides from taco'ing in when the fuel tank gets heavy. If you are going to do surgery, get some ideas from others on what they did to "improve" it. Piano hinges are the most popular where you can swing the panel forward to gain access behind. Some have built more vertical panels to give more space and helps with glare. The most common I've seen is replacing the plans cross member with a 1.5 x 1.5 x.125 angle aluminum and mounting switches through it. Then putting a hinge on the top and frees up the panel for fun stuff.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Return to Sonex