Flap and wing damage; spar too?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Flap and wing damage; spar too?

Postby Sonex519 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:39 pm

I looked at a Sonex for sale and I have some concerns about possible unseen damage. The owner told me the previous owner had an off-airport landing in 2012 in which both wingtips touched the ground. The right wing has a skin patch on the outboard leading edge. The left wing looks OK, but the upper flap skin in the inboard trailing corner is wrinkled. The owner said the flap contacted the fuselage side, and that panel of fuselage skin was replaced. The wings and rivet lines look straight. I don't know if it has any odd flying habits because I wasn't able to fly it. The airframe log notes the repairs, but it doesn't say whether the wings were removed and the spars inspected. I'm especially concerned about the left spar. It seems to me there must have been considerable rearward force on the wing, and the spar must have flexed in order for the flap to contact the fuselage. Should I be concerned about stress to the spar, attachment bolts and holes? If such an incident happened to your plane, would you remove the wings and inspect the spars? If so, what signs of stress or damage would you look for?
Tim Gaffney
Dayton OH
Not actively building
Sonex519

Re: Flap and wing damage; spar too?

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:20 pm

I would be looking for a different Sonex for sale. Agree with your concerns over the damage and forces required to cause such damages. Have you done a N-number search to see what the history shows?
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby Sonex519 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:32 pm

I searched the Internet with Google, Checked the Sonex Owners Foundation's list of incidents and searched the NTSB accident database but didn't find anything.
Tim Gaffney
Dayton OH
Not actively building
Sonex519

Postby gammaxy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:58 pm

My intuition is that something in the rear spar would have to bend for the flap to make contact with the fuselage like that.

Jeff Schultz experienced a crash that bent the wings back (and totaled the airplane). Maybe some of his pictures of the rear spar damage might give you ideas of what to look for: http://www.sonex604.com/crash.html

I guess if the wings were removed, you could inspect the part of the spars where they pass through the fuselage and the condition of the bolted joints.

I agree with Scott, though, I'd probably pass on the plane too.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby Bruce593SX » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am

If the price was right I would look at it. It's not diificult at all to take the wings off, not in the grand scheme of things. 2 bolts per wing, a few small ones on the control rods, pitot static and maybe some wires.

Is it a screaming deal? Spend 2 hours and check it out.
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Postby Sonex519 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:58 am

Chris, it isn't a screaming deal compared to other planes on the market. Thanks for all your comments; I think I will check out some other prospects before asking the owner to pull the wings, but I might suggest that he should do so anyway for his own sake.
Tim Gaffney
Dayton OH
Not actively building
Sonex519

Postby vwglenn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Is should be a screaming deal to consider it. You could be rolling the dice even if it is a screaming deal.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby bnvoss » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:21 am

Somewhere on the Sonex plans is a dimension between a wingtip and the tail tip.I would measure this distance on both wings and see if it matches the plans. That would determine if there was a permanent bend in the wings. I don't know what that dimension is.

Bob Sonex 550
bnvoss

Return to Sonex