Dynon AOA/Pitot Probe Installation

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Dynon AOA/Pitot Probe Installation

Postby sonex1678 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:54 am

I'm going to install an unheated Dynon AOA/Pitot probe and was wondering if others who used this (or another similar) probe located it per the plans or in another location. Also, since the probe doesn't provide static pressure, where have others located the static source/port (sides of fuselage, inside cockpit, etc.)? Any advise/info would be greatly appreciated.
Douglas B Scripture
Sonex 1678
sonex1678

Re: Dynon AOA/Pitot Probe Installation

Postby Direct C51 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:32 pm

I have a Garmin AOA pitot tube, but they are pretty much identical. You can see some pictures of my installation on my builders log.

https://sonex528nm.wordpress.com/pitot-tube/

It can be made much lighter if you don't care for the mast to be removable. I will be getting static pressure from inside the cockpit.
Direct C51

Postby sonex1678 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:18 pm

Awesome instructions and photos--exactly what I was looking for. Any thoughts on the static port location (where did you put?)?
Douglas B Scripture
Sonex 1678
sonex1678

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Hi doug,
We have a full dynon set up, also some back up steam guages. We put the dynon pitot on the left wing, equally distant outboard as the rt wing pitot to run the steam guages. We put the static port outside left side of fuse up by the space thats behind the inst. panel. All works well. Are u planning autopilot?

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby sonex1678 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:13 am

Direct C51: Sorry, I was so entranced with the photos on your website, I missed your static port response...thanks. Are you just leaving an open line or are you going to install a "port" in the cockpit?

Michael: I found a photo of your aircraft in the Sonex completions area, and I believe I see where you located the static port (left side, a couple inches below the windscreen at about the mid point)--looks very do'able and very nice. I was wondering where you located the probe(s) on the wing(s)--the one I can see looks further outboard than the standard probe set-up. Did you move it further out the wing, and if so, for any particular reason? I too could install dual probes as I already have both the recommended probe and now the Dynon probe (later decision), but think I'll only install the Dynon since the right wing is already buckled up. I do plan on autopilot install if funds permit....

Thanks
Douglas B Scripture
Sonex 1678
sonex1678

Postby dhogue » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:49 am

Static pressure measured inside the cockpit can vary from Static Pressure measured from outside the aircraft due to
Temperature, Humidity and other things.
Don Hogue
Onex 0173: Tailwheel: AeroVee Turbo.
Horiz/Vert Stabs, Rudder/Elevators, Fwd/IB/OB/Aileron Bellcranks on Ribs and Main Fwd/Aft Center Wing Spars, Fuselage : Complete.
WIP: Wings
dhogue

Postby Direct C51 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:24 am

Douglas, yes I'll be measuring static inside the cockpit by leaving the static port open on the efis. I've talked to several others who have successfully used this method. The Sonex is not air tight.
Direct C51

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Hi doug,
I believe we put u the pitot probes about half way out on each wing, to keep well clear of propwash. There is a bracket that dynon reccomends to mount it we used. Are u using D10A or skyview or D180? If you add autopilot go with the dynon enginered kits. Top quality makes install easy. Be sure for roll u purchase the SV-42 EL (extra long arm) the skyview needs the long arm to allow it to be programmed and accepted on the set up. It only allows about 60 degrees of throw each way, more than that it wont accept the set up. Also seat pan will need beef up . Otherwise will flex and hit the servo arms. The autopilot is great for x/c flying , and flies the plane in turbulance much better than hand flying. Are u planning adahrs ? I see dynon has a new SV-MAG- 236 instead of the adahrs module. Our adahrs is mounted behind the baggage bay.
Mount for dynon pitot gretzaero PH502-12CR (AN5812 series) see www.gretzaero.com
Aircraft spruce # 10-01950
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi doug,
The mount for the pitot tube , as Direct51 used for his garmin , will also work on the dynon.
Www.SafeAir1.com
( for any one that doesnt know, thats also the call sign for the FAA administer. When flying. ) .

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby sonex1678 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:08 pm

Plan is to go with the Skyview (dual, if financially feasible)...will definitely use their autopilot components to keep things simple (thanks for the installation/component info); unless I try the TRUTRAK ECO, which looks very interesting to me.... Also, I have the mount for the Dynon AOA/Pitot tube (the one ACFT Spruce recommends/sells) so I think I'm good to go.

Thanks for all the help.
Douglas B Scripture
Sonex 1678
sonex1678

Next

Return to Sonex