Where to find NAS bolts

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Where to find NAS bolts

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:44 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:
GraemeSmith wrote:Could you take a longer bolt and run a die up it to get to the grip length you need? No idea about the "legality" or performance difference of such an idea.

At this point may as well shop at Lowes. The strength between rolled and cut threads is significant.

Oh - I understand. I remember looking at a plane that had been refastened from the Aviation Aisle at Home Depot. The AP didn't even know where to start during the prebuy.... In fact he didn't and told the prospective buyer to save his money and walk away.

As to the extra length NAS bolt - Not being a "wi$ea$$" - just discussing - if the bolt is actually being used for its shear performance - then the tensile strength MIGHT be less important.

Just spitballing.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Jgibson » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:14 pm

One would NEVER run a normal die up an AN bolt, however a bolt can be re-made into a 'clevis' pin used in a shear situation as long as the 'shear' load isn't bearing on thread area.
Again: 43:13B should be consulted for ANY question concerning ANY aspect of aircraft repair and/or construction.
Joe
Jgibson

Postby Zack » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:29 am

I used Military-Fasteners.com for oversized NAS bolts (NAS6209-64) for the wing spars. I went down the NAS rabbit hole for the landing leg bolts as well (NAS6204-42) so I didn't have to drill a hole in the firewall. https://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/ <-- these people were really helpful, just give them a call.
Zack

Previous

Return to Sonex