Mounting Option for AN5812 Style Pitot Tube

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Mounting Option for AN5812 Style Pitot Tube

Postby Direct C51 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:04 pm

I am using a Garmin GAP-26 Unheated AOA AN5812 Style Pitot Tube with a Safeair1 Pitot Mast.

Pitot_MastD_07.jpg

Has anyone mounted a similar style pitot tube to their Sonex? I'm looking for ideas on how to mount the Safeair1 Mast. The mast was designed so that the mounting plate is inside the wing with only a hole large enough for the mast to stick out, therefore it would not be removeable. This is one option I am looking at, and if I ever need to remove it, I can cut in an inspection hole or cut out the mast. This mounting option is shown below on an RV.

Pitot 1.jpg

The second option I am thinking of is cutting a rectangle hole the size of the Safeair1 mast mounting plate. Fabricating a rectangle doubler inside the wing with anchor nuts. Then mounting the mast to another doubler and that assembly will be screwed to the outside of the wing to the anchor nuts. I plan to mount the pitot tube in approximately the same location as the plans pitot. I have attached a crude sketch to illustrate this idea. If anyone has any comments, or has done this before, please share.

Pitot.jpg
Direct C51

Re: Mounting Option for AN5812 Style Pitot Tube

Postby Darick » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:40 am

I built the pitot tube from the plans and mounted it just like you illustrated in your post.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Return to Sonex