Swap from Aerovee to Jubiru 3300 ?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Swap from Aerovee to Jubiru 3300 ?

Postby andrewp » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:33 pm

Just replying to the question about passengers and cruise:

I have a climb prop so I am non-representative, but 140 is a good number - my airplane is slow and heavy. I almost always fly the aircraft these days two up. I took a 200+ pound friend and still climbed at 1200+ FPM.

There is no right answer here, but several good ones. Happy people with turbos and happy people with Jabs and other configurations.

BTW if you have a heat problem with any of them, it is likely a case of baffling. On the aerovee it can be timing and the trigger set up (I am no expert, but I know that much). It is almost certainly a solvable problem.

AP
andrewp

Postby SonexEZ » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:23 am

Msing48 wrote:Others have posted some good responses but I'll add a few of my own:

I have had the 3300 in my Sonex for about 1-1/2 years and don't regret the upgrade at all. I was pretty happy with the AeroVee but the extra 40hp makes for a big smile every time I fly it. Mine is a T/W version and I reused the landing gear legs. I did flip and re-drill the legs. I decided to change instrumentation (from old Stratomaster XL to Discovery Lite) and I had to relocate my battery and RDAC to accomodate the new engine mount so I just stripped everything off of the firewall and started over. I bought and fit a new cowling since the old one was slightly shorter (fore and aft). I could have done some fiberglass work to make the old one fit but splurged on the new one.

Initially, I had some minor temperature problems (CHT and oil temp) but some careful sealing of the oil cooler tunnel baffle solved the oil temp problem. Robert Barber helped with the cylinder head baffling (OK, he did almost all of it) and once the engine components broke in I have had no CHT problems at all.

In summary, I have absolutely no regrets. However, look closely at the Camit before you buy the Jabiru. I visited with the Camit reps at Airventure and liked what they had to say. It is essentially the same engine but with some possible improvements.

gee thank you for all the information i myself cant stand the EIS i am kind of old school and like gages so i plan on putting in a fuel gage and a oil pressure gage i would like to find a system that just monitors the CHT and EGT for the Jabiru 3300 hoping to go get it next week , thank you agagin
SonexEZ

Postby SonexEZ » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:26 am

My wife of 35 years just passed away so this Sonex and installing the new Jabiru will keep my mind off her , for now , its been very hard the past few months i am glad i have all of you to talk to and help with problems with this aircraft Guy
A&P
F/E 727-200
Pilot 9000+ hrs
SonexEZ

Postby SonexN76ET » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:31 am

Welcome to the Sonex pilot's community Guy! I am sure you will enjoy flying your Sonex once you finish getting it configured for your liking.

I have seen some builders put a really nice panel together using gauges only. I almost went that route myself.

Jeff Shultz on his website others have referred you to has a collection of panel pictures he found. You could also do a Google search for Sonex panel and then select Images to see pictures of a variety of panels.

I hope that you can come to the American Sonex Association fly in on the 9th.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby SonexEZ » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:15 pm

Jake the 9th of what month and where is it , i have all the time in the world now that the misses has left me , I have been though almost of of this aircraft to make it safe. Now that i found a Jab 3300 i removed the Garmin 396 going to put it up for sale , I have a ifly700 that i like much better, but will also paint the aircraft so i think i will be busy till mid winter before i am done , on the gages i think i mite leave the EIS if it will cover the 6 cylinders on the Jab and just put in a gas gage and oil pressure , I dont have and more room left my panel is out of space.
SonexEZ

Postby SonexN76ET » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:46 pm

Guy,

The fly in is October 9th and 10th in Crossville, TN

http://www.americansonexassociation.org/

I hope to make it up this year. I hope you can make it too!

Jake
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby SonexEZ » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Jake I mite make next year the way i am going everytime i start to work on the Sonex i find something else i dont like and start taking it out, I am waiting for oneof my large checks to come in so that i can go get the Jab engine and looking around for a EIS that shows more in the window , the small one i have wont cover the new engine 6 cylinders so i have been looking , have any idears ? Guy
SonexEZ

Postby SonexN76ET » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:02 pm

Guy,

MGL makes some electronic gauges that monitor six EGT probes and six CHT probes in a 3 1/2 inch instrument that you could use with a 3300 Jabiru.

Sonex sells these.

The one you might want to check out is the "TC-3 12-channel Thermocouple Monitor".

http://www.mglavionics.com/html/velocity_singles.html

They also make full blown EFIS and EMS's.

I have the "E1 Universal Engine Monitor" that I bought from Sonex for my Aerovee and I am very happy with it. This unit I have will not do all six cylinders, however, that is why I suggest you look at the "TC-3 12-channel Thermocouple Monitor" to monitor the Jabiru temperatures.

Jake
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby SonexEZ » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:47 pm

what do you get for a cruise with the turbo, and if there is anyway you could give me pictures of your baffel work it may help me find why i run so hot , thinking of doing turbo
SonexEZ

Postby SonexEZ » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:31 pm

andrewp wrote:Mine has a climb prop and is an old hydraulic lifter. Personally I love it. One up I get 1200-1500 fpm. My cruise is limited by my prop choice, but it goes at a comfortable 140mph, 6gph approximately. Others would do better and I am sure the later versions of the jab do better. Compared to a continental o-470 or something, they are little pieces of jewellry and need to be treated as such though. You need to manage temps on them (as you do on the -o-470!)

You need to actually go for a fly in one with a 3300 to make a sensible decision, but given you understand the expense and all that, it really makes the airplane huge fun to fly. Getting the baffling right is work because it is a lot of engine for a little space. Most people end up having to shield their fuel lines etc or get rid of the gascolator. You do lose the ability to overhaul it for small numbers that you get with an aerovee. Jabirus are not perfect either they have their mechanical issues. You might want to hang out of the jabiru forum.

Let's put it into context: Our sonex sits in a hangar. Our old 182 that we have been slowly fixing up sits on the ramp (which is wrong, but that tells you how much we love our sonex).

If you have a corvair in it (? - not sure if that is right or if I am confusing you with someone else), you might want to see what you can do with it before throwing the baby out with the bathwater and only you will know what makes you happy... YMMV!

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew whats the difference between the Jab with the solid lifters or the hydralic what one do i say away from , ?
SonexEZ

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex