Swap from Aerovee to Jubiru 3300 ?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Swap from Aerovee to Jubiru 3300 ?

Postby andrewp » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:14 pm

Heck, very good point - completely forgot about that!
andrewp

Postby Pickleman » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:59 pm

[youtube][/youtube]We'll, if anyone is interested in making the swap, I have the perfect 3300 jabiru candidate. A zero time in crate ( bought from Jabiru pacific in my name and with my name on the paperwork so you know chain of title is clean) Jabiru 3300. Never mounted, the more reliable solid lifter version for...divorce sale. :? After talking to Pete, the only things to do are the dowel pin upgrades. No other required mods. I'd want you to double check with him of course. I'll take pictures and post them. Has Sonex stainless exhaust. Literally in shipping crate, in a dry hangar since new, pickled and rotated occasionally. I'm a plans builder, and I won't sell my motor mount. It will get vw I already have the parts for. The wife will get ten grand. That's what I want for it if you are interested.

I also have a ten hour jabiru 2200 that was on a Hornet Special I built. It runs GREAT! Two years ago someone decided to steal the trailer it was on in the hanger by attaching their vehicle to the trailer and DRIVING OUT FROM UNDER IT, using the hangar doors to keep the plane in the hangar. Wings and landing gear were ruined. I decided to finish the Sonex first instead of repairing the Hornet Special. It comes with a sensenich pusher prop and a Grand Rapids EIS. Six grand or offer for the 2200. All four EGT and CHTs monitored, NEVER overheated, and I think the EIS has memory to verify that.

Anyone interested? Cash only, no trades. I would be happy to give you a list of Sport Pilot mechanics licensed in our area that are familiar with the motor. I know of two for sure, Ed Pitmann of Pitman air and Art Stienbach, of ASE enterprises. Ed assembles the Dragonfly hang glider tugs for the Aussies and literally wrote the book on several light planes, as well as being a world record holder paraglider and Art was the second person on the Planet to get his sport pilot mechanics license.

Thanks guys. Feel free to forward this to any one and message me here. I need to advertise but just need to clear my head first, so Sonex boys get first dibs.
Pickleman

Postby SonexEZ » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:10 pm

if i understand you , your selling the 3300 for $10000 I also see one on Barnstormers for that price as i wll be selling my aerovee with prop mount and enine reddy to run it has 145.6 hours on it , where are you located ? Guy
SonexEZ

Postby SonexEZ » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:16 pm

Someone mentioned the corvair but i have been in touch with Dan from SPA he says i will lose too much in gross weight , due to it being a trigear , so i have been looking for the 3300 , i also being old school cant stand the EIS system , going to rip that sucker out and put some gages in, will be selling the low time aerovee with mount and prop , cheep! I may just use it for a boat anchor for my boat
SonexEZ

Postby Msing48 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:33 pm

Others have posted some good responses but I'll add a few of my own:

I have had the 3300 in my Sonex for about 1-1/2 years and don't regret the upgrade at all. I was pretty happy with the AeroVee but the extra 40hp makes for a big smile every time I fly it. Mine is a T/W version and I reused the landing gear legs. I did flip and re-drill the legs. I decided to change instrumentation (from old Stratomaster XL to Discovery Lite) and I had to relocate my battery and RDAC to accomodate the new engine mount so I just stripped everything off of the firewall and started over. I bought and fit a new cowling since the old one was slightly shorter (fore and aft). I could have done some fiberglass work to make the old one fit but splurged on the new one.

Initially, I had some minor temperature problems (CHT and oil temp) but some careful sealing of the oil cooler tunnel baffle solved the oil temp problem. Robert Barber helped with the cylinder head baffling (OK, he did almost all of it) and once the engine components broke in I have had no CHT problems at all.

In summary, I have absolutely no regrets. However, look closely at the Camit before you buy the Jabiru. I visited with the Camit reps at Airventure and liked what they had to say. It is essentially the same engine but with some possible improvements.
Msing48

Postby fastj22 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:46 pm

SonexEZ wrote:Someone mentioned the corvair but i have been in touch with Dan from SPA he says i will lose too much in gross weight , due to it being a trigear , so i have been looking for the 3300 , i also being old school cant stand the EIS system , going to rip that sucker out and put some gages in, will be selling the low time aerovee with mount and prop , cheep! I may just use it for a boat anchor for my boat

I converted from a Jab3300 nose gear to tail dragger and still have the tri-gear 3300 mount I'm willing to sell. PM if you want to deal.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby SonexEZ » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:41 pm

andrewp wrote:I think Tony Lewis and Jeff Schultz both moved from Aerovees to Jabs. You can see http://www.sonex604.com/ for some more details. Jeff is on his second Sonex now and a wonderful machine it looks like.

I have a Jab so I can't comment on the cross over, but it is a whole different ball of wax. Changing engines is a good amount of work no matter what you do. You will never be burning the low GPH of an aerovee and it will cost a whole lot more to live with, but it will put a smile on your face regardless. Aerovee is better at some things (low expense, personal satisfaction), Jab is better at other (turning a lot more money into a lot more noise). Nothing is perfect!

AP

With the Jab can you carry a passenger if you wanted too ? and what do you get for a cruise speed the way you have yours set up ?
SonexEZ

Postby SonexEZ » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:48 pm

jerryhain wrote:One thing you might want to know is the Turbo aerovee outperforms the jab at high altitudes. 8K +
Compared to changing to a jab it's a low-cost easy conversion for almost the same performance at low altitude and much better performance at high altitudes.

JERRY YOU DONT HAVE ANY HEAT PROBLEMS WITH THE AEROVEE, ALSO WHAT DO YOU GET FOR A CRUISE NOW WITH THE TURBO ? I AM TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT WAY TO GO ? GUY
SonexEZ

Postby SonexEZ » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:55 am

So when you changed to the turbo did you notice much difference in clime and cruise ? if you had to do over would you install turbo ? Guy
SonexEZ

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:34 am

Guy,

If you have an interest in seeing a first hand video or a turbo AeroVee Sonex and how it performs, watch our Foundation video:

http://youtu.be/DtrHLtCIRgs

I hope my Waiex serves as a decent representative of the performance envelope of the turbo. As one would expect, the turbo falls right in between the N/A AeroVee and the Jab 3300 in terms of both climb and cruise. When looking at value though, I personally think the turbo offers the best "bang for the buck" out there!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex