runs hot

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: runs hot

Postby SonexN76ET » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:39 am

Guy,

The baffle seal material can be purchased from aircraft spruce. I used the 1/8th by 3 inch silicone baffle seal.

The rear canopy seal material I used I purchased from Pep Boys. It is about a 2/3 inch round with one flap side that has adhesive on it. It is fairly heavy duty with a black coating on it. It is an automotive door seal material or trunk weather stripping.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby gammaxy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:57 am

Jake,

The weather stripping material I used gets bumped every time I get in or out of the airplane (or lean into baggage area), so a 1 foot section is always loose. Is yours so heavy duty that this isn't much/any problem? If so, might me time for an upgrade.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby SonexN76ET » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:36 pm

Here is the weather stripping I used on the back of my canopy. So far it has not peeled off anywhere. If it does peel, I may use some aluminum rivets and washers to hold it in place.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby SonexEZ » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:21 am

Jake do i have to ask for it in pep boys or is it out in the iles ? this sonex has the canopy thta goes back over your head thanks for your help the seal that was on the canopy was on upside down
SonexEZ

Postby SonexEZ » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:36 am

Jake someone had put a p seal on the front but its oil soaked and not doing its job also i think the new seal someone put on the top sides on the cylinders i dont think it was installed high enough to seal the cowl, I will installed the cowl and look from under to see there are so many items wrong with it , just litle things that would make it heat up no wonder the temps where high i may have to take the cylinder head off and take i to have itnground i lapped the valve and seat but wasent happy the way it came out
SonexEZ

Postby mike.smith » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:15 pm

SonexEZ wrote:One cylinder didnt have any compression, the exhaust valve was too tight , removed the head to see if the valve was burned and it wasent I lap the valve and the seat but on installing the rocket hold down bolt snapped before it got to the 14 ' lbs, so i ordered it form sonex

When you say the valve was too tight, what were you describing? What was "tight"? If the valve isn't closing and is letting air escape, then it's probably either the seat (as you have been checking), or the rocker arm is holding the valve open, and needs to be backed off to the recommended .006 gap. Or did you mean the valve guide was too tight and the valve was not moving freely?

Which part actually snapped? The bolt (stud in the head) itself, or the rocker arm block (one of two, that the head studs go through, and hold the rocker arms)? I broke my rocker arm block once because I didn't realize that the holes in each side of the block are different. One has a shoulder that fits over the shoulder of the stud (the studs flare out at the bottom), and the other side is straight, and has not been cut for the shoulder. I had installed one of the blocks upside down, and since it couldn't get past the shoulder of the stud, it finally cracked as I tightened down the nut.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby SonexEZ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:40 pm

The rocket valve adjustment was too tight i could not get .002 gage in it , just lapping it went up to 40lbs but then i pulled the head , its so easy to pull ,, I find so many things just done wrong the baffle that is there now is set too short so when the cowl is on it dosent fold over , the front seal for the oil cooler is all shot and of course one cylinder was dead , no wonder it was running hot !! bringing head to a machine shop i dont have a valve grinder set up , as for the broken stud maybe i did the same thing you did i didnt notice the boss on the stud till i removed it
Last edited by SonexEZ on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonexEZ

Postby SonexEZ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:43 pm

SonexEZ wrote:Jake do i have to ask for it in pep boys or is it out in the iles ? this sonex has the canopy thta goes back over your head thanks for your help the seal that was on the canopy was on upside down
I stopped at pep boys they said i had to go to a different store they didnt have anything but wippers
SonexEZ

Postby SonexEZ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:52 pm

SonexN76ET wrote:Here is the weather stripping I used on the back of my canopy. So far it has not peeled off anywhere. If it does peel, I may use some aluminum rivets and washers to hold it in place.

Jake

Jake i havent got the seal yet but looking at the picture how did you mount it my canopy sits just inside the body of the aircraft , flying it home i was in the edge of a thunderstorm had a few leaks ,
Last edited by SonexEZ on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonexEZ

Postby SonexEZ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:42 pm

SonexEZ wrote:
SonexN76ET wrote:Here is the weather stripping I used on the back of my canopy. So far it has not peeled off anywhere. If it does peel, I may use some aluminum rivets and washers to hold it in place.

Jake

Jake i havent got the seal yet but looking at the picture how did you mount it my canopy sist just inside the bode of the aircraft , flying it home i was in the edge of a thunderstorm had a few leaks ,

Jake i forgot to mention my canopy opens front to back not to the side like most
SonexEZ

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex