runs hot

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: runs hot

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:15 pm

SonexEZ wrote:maybe if i had worked on small aircraft in the past 25 years instead of 727-200 and 747 i would have had more knowledge to know what to look for as one A& P to another I beleaved the A&P just did an annual on this aircraft

I have a question about this: Correct me if I'm wrong but when signing off a Condition Inspection on an Amateur Built aircraft, the only thing the A&P is signing off is that the airplane appears to be in an airworthy condition and meets the standards of AC 43.13, correct? I don't recall there ever being any written requirement for the A&P to actually fly the airplane. Actually, is there even a requirement to even run an airplane as part of a Condition Inspection?

Just curious....
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby SonexEZ » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:19 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions , i found a few problems the seal that covers the front of the engine for the oil cooler intake is falling off and oil soked , One cylinder didnt have any compression, the exhaust valve was too tight , removed the head to see if the valve was burned and it wasent I lap the valve and the seat but on installing the rocket hold down bolt snapped before it got to the 14 ' lbs, so i ordered it form sonex , then i pulled a mussel in my back and have been laid p for a few days, where do i purchest the front seal also need the canopy seal where can i get that ? for the rear of the canopy
SonexEZ

Postby Gripdana » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:31 pm

Not sure about what front seal? There are noses for the canopy in the plans. Most use a rubber seal with a self adhesive back.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby SonexEZ » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:30 pm

mike.smith wrote:
SonexEZ wrote:I went to pick up a sonex yesterday in NC ,with aerovee aircraft is clean, trigear 145 hours fist problem overheats very easy if you try to clime it overheats very easy all baffuling is in place . second problem front oil leak could be front crank but not sure yet it was raining when i landed , can this be changed without splitting her case ? going to pick up with a trailer on saturday i feel its not safeto fly any distance.

There can be several reasons. When I was running hot it was almost entirely because I was running too lean. I had to change to a different needle in the AeroInjector and then do some trial and error. Once I did that all the temps dropped way down into the green. Way down! The baffling might not be sealing well. The super tin (metal baffles under the cylinders) could be misaligned. The cowl inlets and outlet might not be cut/sized properly. Is there an oil cooler? Bottom mount or top mount? Is there enough air getting to it? The secondary ignition might not be timed properly (there is a procedure to turn off the secondary while in flight to see if the temps go down). I wrapped my exhaust pipes with header wrap, and that seemed to help keep the temps a little lower. Other people may have some other ideas to check.

I was told the 2.5 jet or slide is in there should it be the 3.0 ?
SonexEZ

Postby Gripdana » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:22 pm

There is no front oil seal on the Aerovee only a slinger. I had oil on the front of the engine. The source was a combination of loose block off plates and oil pressure sender. Make sure those are tight. Are you sure the super tin is installed correctly? There have been others that installed it on the top and caused over heating.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
Gripdana

Postby Gripdana » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:22 pm

Can you post photos of you engine?
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
Gripdana

Postby wlarson861 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:49 pm

I think he is talking about the oil cooler inlet baffle and seal. If it is not sealing the inlet it may contribute to some heating but I would think not a lot.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby SonexN76ET » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:12 am

Guy,

In addition to the advice from Dana and Bill I would suggest the following:

1. Make sure all your intake baffles are properly sealed. Even a small air leak can cause poor engine cooling. The engine cooling is not just airflow but pressurized airflow.

2. Please tell us what is running hot and what EGT and CHT's you are seeing.

3. Please be EXTREMELY careful when adjusting your AeroInjector. Adjustments to the mixture needle should be done in 1/8th of a turn increments. Only when exceededing the tolerances on one needle should you switch to another needle. The AeroInjector manual needs to be followed to the letter. Don't forget to lock your throttle open before you make mixture needle adjustments otherwise you will kink your throttle cable. All mixture needle adjustments are done while the engine is shut down.

4. How is your oil pressure?

5. Make sure your crankcase breather line is unrestricted. A restricted breather tube will cause oil to shoot past the front oil slinger and cause oil leakage around the prop hub.

6. Make sure your repairs were done properly through a thorough ground check run before you take it into the air.

These are fun machines and while not being a 727, they deserve proper respect to keep you flying safely. Be safe out there!

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby Concorde » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:03 pm

Congratulations on buying that beautiful Sonex. I have seen your Sonex at many fly-ins and its always been one of my favorites .I am sure you're going to be very happy with your Sonex.
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Postby SonexEZ » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:30 am

Hi guy's i have found several problems being one cyclinder the exhaust valve was too tight , I pulled the head figured i would need o replace the exhaust valve but it was just very carboned up , so i got some lapping compond and hopefully it will have its near normal compression. but i still need the front seal that seal,s the intake for the oil cooler where do i get that , and also the rear canopy seal , i am kind of at a stand still waiting for a rocker bolt that snapped off when i got to the 14 foot lbs, hope you can help me with the two seals ?
SonexEZ

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex