Airframe Maintenance Manual

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Airframe Maintenance Manual

Postby Brett » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:12 am

I am coming up to the end of the build and as part of the ongoing maintenance, I either use a generic inspection schedule, or an Aircraft specific one. Does, or has Sonex ever supplied one for the airframe? I took it for granted there was a maintenance manual in all my paper work, but alas, only the flight manual. What do most people use in regard to this?

-Brett

Build almost done.... paperwork time
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Re: Airframe Maintenance Manual

Postby Gripdana » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:58 am

I have not made an official list yet but made some notes for my condition inspection.Eaa has a condition inspection document that I use as a basic starting point. In addition to an overall inspection I have noted areas that during the build I had to stop and think about things. The other Items I pay more attention are Items that others have noted having problems and Items from service bulletins.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby sonex892 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:58 am

Hi Brett

RA Aus or VH registered ? Mine is VH, I use CASA schedule 5. I modified it by removing irrelevant stuff.

Steve
Sonex 892
sonex892

Postby Brett » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:25 am

I look like having to use the CASA schedule 5. I plan to VH register this one. My Aeropup is RAA rego'd and came with it's own specific manual, so I have been using that. I honestly thought the Sonex came with it own manual too, but I must have been dreaming when I thought that one up I guess :) A maintenance schedule has been the last thing on my mind actually, but now is the time to sort it out.

-Brett
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby sonex892 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:42 pm

Brett wrote:I look like having to use the CASA schedule 5. I plan to VH register this one. My Aeropup is RAA rego'd and came with it's own specific manual, so I have been using that. I honestly thought the Sonex came with it own manual too, but I must have been dreaming when I thought that one up I guess :) A maintenance schedule has been the last thing on my mind actually, but now is the time to sort it out.

-Brett

I'm not sure if you have to use the schedule 5 or not? Maybe best to contact who ever does the MPC course over in WA or Brian Ham a fellow sonex builder /flier runs the MPC course in Vic.

Steve
Sonex 892
sonex892

Postby fjdoug » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:40 pm

i use CASA schedule 5.vSW892/Modified ;)
fjdoug

Postby rizzz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:43 am

sonex892 wrote:
Brett wrote:I look like having to use the CASA schedule 5. I plan to VH register this one. My Aeropup is RAA rego'd and came with it's own specific manual, so I have been using that. I honestly thought the Sonex came with it own manual too, but I must have been dreaming when I thought that one up I guess :) A maintenance schedule has been the last thing on my mind actually, but now is the time to sort it out.

-Brett

I'm not sure if you have to use the schedule 5 or not? Maybe best to contact who ever does the MPC course over in WA or Brian Ham a fellow sonex builder /flier runs the MPC course in Vic.

Steve
Sonex 892

I've recently completed my MPC here in NSW with Ken Garland.

The question was asked and he said you do not have to use Schedule 5, perhaps you can work with the maintenance schedule provided by the manufacturer (if it exists) or you can use your own if you like.
However, if you do use your own, when the AP comes you will have to be able to back up whatever you state in your maintenance schedule with credible data if requested.
For example when you state a certain maintenance interval on a certain part, or a part lifetime or whatever, you have to have the data from the manufacturer of that part or some other credible source of data to back up your claim if asked.
Not such an easy thing to do if you think about it, better to stick to schedule 5 where possible.

I will use schedule 5 for my airframe but will have to create my own for the engine.
Mine will be based upon the Great Plains & AeroVee manuals (which are very similar), so I have those as "credible data source" to back me up if questioned, as these engines are very similar to mine.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Return to Sonex