New Canopy Time

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: New Canopy Time

Postby avee8r » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:25 am

I purchased a new Sonex Canopy just prior to Oshkosh and was amazed at how much thicker and more pliable the new canopy is compared to my old one. There was no problem working with it like the old material either. The original was very brittle, the new one is very flexible and malleable. For comparison, my serial number is 373.
Happy Landings
John
N50NX
avee8r

Postby mike.smith » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:16 pm

For anyone that has a Todd's Canopy, what do you think of it? Shape, fit, durability, crack resistance? I'm looking to keep the windscreen but use a Todd's Canopy for the new canopy section. If anyone has done that, any photos? Just trying to see what the differences might be in installation and shape.

Thanks,
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby rizzz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:40 am

mike.smith wrote:For anyone that has a Todd's Canopy, what do you think of it? Shape, fit, durability, crack resistance? I'm looking to keep the windscreen but use a Todd's Canopy for the new canopy section. If anyone has done that, any photos? Just trying to see what the differences might be in installation and shape.

Thanks,

Mike,
I believe it can be done, others have done it.

However I would think you'd get the worst of both worlds:
The great thing about the Todds is the extra height and the fact that the windscreen in front of you is closer to perpendicular than the std. Sonex canopy resulting in less distortion (this is what Todd claims anyway). You would lose both of these advantages if you have to cut the Todds to mach your Sonex windscreen.
The thing that's better about the Sonex windscreen is that it buldges on the side hence it does not need the height the Todds has to give you the extra headroom. You would not have this either.

That's my humble opinion anyway....
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby DCASonex » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:22 am

Mike,

Will send you some info and photos of my installation of Todd's canopy separately.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby ededoad » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:38 am

I used the Todd's canopy for the canopy part. I was going to use the whole canopy but thought it would require too much modification to use the windshield section. I used carbonate sheet for the windshield.
I cut it to use as one piece originally but you could probably get two useable canopy sections out of it.

Regards
ededoad

Postby mike.smith » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:31 pm

ededoad wrote:I used the Todd's canopy for the canopy part. I was going to use the whole canopy but thought it would require too much modification to use the windshield section. I used carbonate sheet for the windshield.
I cut it to use as one piece originally but you could probably get two useable canopy sections out of it.

Regards

How did it turn out? Any photos? Like others, I raised my rear windscreen bow as high as I could to get the extra head room.

Thanks,
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby rizzz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:20 pm

ededoad wrote:I used the Todd's canopy for the canopy part. I was going to use the whole canopy but thought it would require too much modification to use the windshield section. I used carbonate sheet for the windshield.

Regards

Hi,
Would be great if you could post some pictures online, there are pictures/videos to be found of a complete Todds installation but none of a Todds with standard windscreen.
I would very much like to see what it looks like.
Thanks.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby ededoad » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:08 am

I don.t have a photo yet but it looks just like the Sonex installation. You could change the appearance but cutting it in different places though but would have less head room. I will try to post a photo next week.
Regards
ededoad

Postby ededoad » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:20 pm

rizzz wrote:

Regards

Hi,
Would be great if you could post some pictures online, there are pictures/videos to be found of a complete Todds installation but none of a Todds with standard windscreen.
I would very much like to see what it looks like.
Thanks.
Primed 002 (2).JPG
Primed 002 (2).JPG (199.1 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
ededoad

Postby mike.smith » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:34 pm

Thanks for posting that. That looks like a nice shape. Just like the factory shape. How did you like working with the material?
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Previous

Return to Sonex