Wing skin doubler - do I have an issue

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Wing skin doubler - do I have an issue

Postby SonexN76ET » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:28 pm

The RV wing root seal that most of us use is THICK! It requires a gap of almost a quarter of an inch, and at that it is still tight.

Focus on rigging the wing. You can always trim the wing root area back a little bit later to fit the wing root seal. A vixen file works good on both the wing root doubler and the wing skins for final trimming. Although you will have to use a finer file to finish it off.

Also, you can not squeeze the wings on with the wing root seal on if you do not have a sufficient gap. You will also have to trim the wing root seal so it fits over the spar. Please note that on my plans, wing root seal is not mentioned. It just says to have a 16th inch gap. However, the wing root seal looks good, seals out moisture and grime, and protects the fuselage sides from chaffing and scrapping with any wing flex or vibration. I only did the leading edge of my wing root, forward of the spar, and that looks ok too.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Re: Wing skin doubler - do I have an issue

Postby Sonex1542 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:03 pm

Thanks all. Buying the seal this week, landing gear going in also and planning on rigging Afterward sometime.

Looks like a plan is in place.
SNX-794. Formerly SNX-1542
Sonex1542

Previous

Return to Sonex