Transition training

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Transition training

Postby cmiller » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:36 pm

Anyone have a list of those willing to give training? Presently in upper Michigan. Would like a few landings with instructor or experienced Sonex pilot. I have over 3000 hours in various taildraggees, but very little time in Sonex. Building one and just bought 2nd one.
cmiller

Transition training

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:20 pm

Really there are 2 ways - the factory or Mike Farley in Ohio

http://sonexfoundation.com/Transition_Training.html

Hope this helps

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Transition training

Postby lpaaruule » Sun May 21, 2017 2:21 am

I checked in with Mark at Sonex, and transition training is not going to be offered anytime soon, if ever again.

So that leaves me with two issues, getting trained, and getting insurance. The insurance quotes I got both wanted 10 hour dual in a Sonex with a certified instructor. One quote specifically required I go to the Sonex factory for training. I don't know if I'm going to be able to get insurance at this point.

A member of my EAA chapter heard my plight and offered to take me up in his RV4. I flew with him today and was able to land the plane from the back seat. Being rusty with tailwheel landings, I didn't do too well, but did manage one good landing. Having to look over his shoulder and relying on peripheral vision for the last part of the landing made it much more difficult than when I used to fly a Citabria.

The RV4 wingspan and overall size are similar to the Sonex, hopefully close enough. The control was very responsive, so hopefully that's similar to the Sonex as well.

Any Sonex pilots out there with experience in an RV4? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Transition training

Postby caveman370 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:46 am

A good friend of mine that used to sell insurance said almost all underwriting has the "CFI" statement in it. He said to me to get around that go fly with a sonex person and log the time. It's not a type rated aircraft as long as you have your endorsement for tail wheel. After you log the time with someone else call your insurance guy and say you have flown with another sonex owner x amount of time. My friend says 9 out of 10 times they will accept that and insure you.
It also worked for another friend that bought a Nanchang warbird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caveman370

Return to Sonex