gluing canopy

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

gluing canopy

Postby jack schurr » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:02 am

Hello to the group:
I have decided that I would like to use the Sika method of bonding the canopy. I remember seeing somewhere that the primer was available in smaller quantities. I would like to avoid throwing material out. Anybody have a source?
Thank you,
Jack Schurr
120YX
jack schurr

Re: gluing canopy

Postby jack schurr » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:40 am

A friend who glued his canopy two years ago gave me the primer, activator and sealant. The sealant is solid. I won't use the primer and will buy new. Does the activator go bad, or should I just get that also?
Thanks,
Jack Schurr
120YX
jack schurr

Postby DCASonex » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:21 am

I used the Stika for bonding, #295 adhesive, 206 G&P primer, 205 activator, and #209 primer. Obtained from Merritt Marine Pompano Beach FL. That was back in 2011 and may be better sources now. All of those components have a definite limited shelf live of just a few months. For anyone interested, have photos and drawings of that installation with slightly modified frame on the old Yahoo Sonex Builder's forum: Files section: Modifications to Sonex #1327. Can e-mail to anyone not able to access that site. So far it has held up great. Stika stuff is made for boats that sit outside full time, and they do recommend a UV blocking paint applied over the outside covering the adhesive, but my plane is stored in a hangar and I did not do that.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby jack schurr » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:51 am

Hello David:
Please email photos and drawings to me. I' would like as much info as possible before I proceed.
Thanks,
Jack
jack schurr

Return to Sonex