Gear legs

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Gear legs

Postby garyb » Fri May 01, 2015 9:59 pm

I am thinking of using the Tracy O'Brien gear legs and 6 inch wheels for my std gear Sonex. I Any one else using ether of these options.
Sonex #1531 Rotax 912ULS. 250 hours and counting.
garyb

Re: Gear legs

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat May 02, 2015 12:08 am

Hi Gary , are u going to use the tob axels too? What brakes u plan on using? The tob axels will mate up to the hyd brakes from sonex, u will have to remove a short stub outside of the backing plate for the hyd bakes, but would be used if u going the mechanical brakes route. The axles are nice for jacking. Inside has a short stub to do so. For anyone w the standard sonex axels , tob sells backing plates that u can weld onto them to a least pick up 3 bolt holes for the hyd brakes. Tob sells the c90 brakes but numerous reports seems to be a little inadequate for the sonex weight. For a new build I'd go w the sonex gear legs, tob axels(for the ease of jacking up the plane and mounting the sonex hyd brakes) . U will have to also plug and tap the outer hole of the tob axel to have a center screw for the wheel pant. Cheer's and good luck. Heading to the rio Linda fly -in tomorrow.

Michael RADTKE
WaiexN143NM
WaiexN143NM

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat May 02, 2015 12:12 am

Hi Gary,
Also interesting about the rotax 912s selection, keep us appraised of your progress and how it works out.

Michael RADTKE
WaiexN143NM

Postby kmacht » Sat May 02, 2015 12:36 am

I have the tob brakes and find that they work great with plenty of stopping power and very little fade. It is one of those upgrades where if I were to build another sonex I would use them again.

Keith
kmacht

Postby garyb » Sat May 02, 2015 1:12 am

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi Gary , are u going to use the tob axels too? What brakes u plan on using? The tob axels will mate up to the hyd brakes from sonex, u will have to remove a short stub outside of the backing plate for the hyd bakes, but would be used if u going the mechanical brakes route. The axles are nice for jacking. Inside has a short stub to do so. For anyone w the standard sonex axels , tob sells backing plates that u can weld onto them to a least pick up 3 bolt holes for the hyd brakes. Tob sells the c90 brakes but numerous reports seems to be a little inadequate for the sonex weight. For a new build I'd go w the sonex gear legs, tob axels(for the ease of jacking up the plane and mounting the sonex hyd brakes) . U will have to also plug and tap the outer hole of the tob axel to have a center screw for the wheel pant. Cheer's and good luck. Heading to the rio Linda fly -in tomorrow.

Michael RADTKE
WaiexN143NM

Hi Michael
The tob legs come complete with the axles, I want to use the mechanical brakes too. Thanks for the info and enjoy the fly-in
garyb

Postby tonyr » Sun May 03, 2015 7:02 pm

I'm using titanium legs, TOB axles, and the standard mechanical brakes.
I had to turn up a 3/8" spacer between the axle plate and the brake backing plate. Pretty solid with 4 bolts holding it on.
The wheel pants are attached with 2 10/32 threads tapped into the brake plate. I machined an alloy stub to insert into the axle end, drilled and tapped for a single 10/32 screw. The insert is held in place with the cotter pin.
A stub on the brake handle locks behind the flap handle for a park brake.
Works adequately for what I want.
Nice to know the Sonex hydraulic units fit the axle too.
Sonex #813
First Flight... 4 Oct 14
298 hours having fun!
http://sonexaus.wikispaces.com/Tony+%28Richo%29+Richardson+Sonex+813
tonyr

Postby garyb » Mon May 04, 2015 4:22 am

tonyr wrote:I'm using titanium legs, TOB axles, and the standard mechanical brakes.
I had to turn up a 3/8" spacer between the axle plate and the brake backing plate. Pretty solid with 4 bolts holding it on.
The wheel pants are attached with 2 10/32 threads tapped into the brake plate. I machined an alloy stub to insert into the axle end, drilled and tapped for a single 10/32 screw. The insert is held in place with the cotter pin.
A stub on the brake handle locks behind the flap handle for a park brake.
Works adequately for what I want.
Nice to know the Sonex hydraulic units fit the axle too.

Thanks for the info Tony
garyb

Postby garyb » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:45 pm

garyb wrote:I am thinking of using the Tracy O'Brien gear legs and 6 inch wheels for my std gear Sonex. I Any one else using ether of these options.

I have received a set of gear legs From "Tracy O Brien" What a professional job he has done. I am going to run the 5 inch rims with the 500-5 tyres which should give me good prop ground clearance.
garyb

Return to Sonex