Glare shield covering adhesive

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Glare shield covering adhesive

Postby ededoad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:34 pm

I have seen at least 1 photo of someone who used thin foam board covered with material. I plan on doing it that way too. I glued gray canvas on my glair shield and it looks like crap. I am going to leave it that way and cover it with the foam board and maybe felt glued to it.
ededoad

Postby onex28 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:32 pm

OK here is a dumb question. Why do builders glue anything to the glare shield. Why doesn't flat back work just as well, and with a weight saving?

David
onex28

Postby nwawingman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:43 pm

Good question David. I guess I thought I needed too because that what I had seen everyone else doing. I used a solid black carpet floor mat the I bought at Doller General for about $10. Cut too fit and had some industrial Velcro strips sewn in on both sides to hold it down. Worked well and stays in place.
Rick Wantz - Arkansas
Sonex 367 T/W AeroVee/Aeroinjector - Prince Elliptical Prop <361hrs
1st Flight 7/13 KOSHX3 Young EaglesX14
http://www.mykitlog.com/wingman
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2TNLK ... A63FvnPkNA
nwawingman

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:33 pm

David,
Mine will be flat black like every Pawnee, PA18, and J3 I have ever flown (plus a few others).
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby DCASonex » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:12 am

nwawingman wrote:Good question David. I guess I thought I needed too because that what I had seen everyone else doing. I used a solid black carpet floor mat the I bought at Doller General for about $10. Cut too fit and had some industrial Velcro strips sewn in on both sides to hold it down. Worked well and stays in place.

Use black felt, and only need adhesive backed hook side of Velcro stuck on glare shield, no need to add felt side of Velcro to felt.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby gammaxy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:14 am

onex28 wrote:Why do builders glue anything to the glare shield. Why doesn't flat back work just as well, and with a weight saving?

Even good flat black paint tends to reflect a lot more light than just about any black felt at shallow angles. Look across some flat black paint at a shallow angle in the sun and see how at certain angles it is practically white. In the Sonex, you are always looking past the glareshield at a shallow angle where a painted flat-black glareshield will tend to look more gray than black and reflect onto the shallow windshield.

Some people are happy with paint and probably did a good job, but I'm pretty sure if you are going for the absolute minimum glare possible you need to use fabric or some really exotic paint.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby jmtraylor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:27 am

onex28 wrote:OK here is a dumb question. Why do builders glue anything to the glare shield. Why doesn't flat back work just as well, and with a weight saving?

David

I wondered the same thing and decided to go with what I know, which is Army helicopters: flat black paint. It's simple, lightweight and reduces glare. The only benefits I can see from gluing some type of textile on it would be for looks and maybe some sound deadening. If someone has more reasons, I'd like to hear about them.
Mark Traylor
Sonex #1222B
Helena, AL
jmtraylor

Previous

Return to Sonex