Fabricating the Aerovee Engine Mount

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Fabricating the Aerovee Engine Mount

Postby Sonex1542 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:48 am

Could use some direction with this piece.

I am going to build my own engine mount. Since this is my first mount, the preliminary alignment is whats hanging me up. My plan was to proceed as follows...

Make a mockup of the fuse mount. Make a mockup of the VW side. Weld the bushings up and bolt to the engine mockup, do the same on the fuse end. Shoot the P-line and offsets and then using half inch tube weld and cross weld it all together as the base to build around. Once it's tight enough, cut off those brace pieces, clean up any rough spots and finish up any pieces necessary to complete the mount.

Thought about welding from the fuse forward, but can't imagine the offset would be accurate by the time I reach the VW side of the mount.

With all respect, I don't want to discuss TIG vs Oxy, the safety of this, craters, cracks, anneiling, stress cracking or welding rods. It's all been covered on my end, and those decisions are 99 percent final.

EAA covers this like describing sex with birds and bees talk, light on content and lighter on practical how to. Youtube has nothing, and one article on the web covered something similar to what I described but still couldn't decipher what was being described....

So, can anyone please offer some suggestions, direction, or first hand experience on the process and layout. My decision to scratch build, well... I'm going all the way :D

warm weather is here and it's back to building season.
SNX-794. Formerly SNX-1542
Sonex1542

Re: Fabricating the Aerovee Engine Mount

Postby wlarson861 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:14 am

Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby Sonex1542 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:56 am

I've been humbly corrected. Thanks for the link.
SNX-794. Formerly SNX-1542
Sonex1542

Postby Bruce593SX » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:34 pm

i welded mine some years ago, wish I had seen that video then... As I recall I used plywood on both sides, but the all thread idea would have been ideal..
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:27 pm

Great video. Will come in handy when I get back to my Hummelbird someday.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby wlarson861 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:41 am

Also Tony Bingelis' book "Firewall Forward" has an entire chapter on mounts. His books are excellent for anyone building an airplane, they show a lot of different ways to skin the cat. I think they are still available from EAA. Ask around the chapter I bet someone has one to loan.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:58 am

wlarson861 wrote:Also Tony Bingelis' book "Firewall Forward" has an entire chapter on mounts. His books are excellent for anyone building an airplane, they show a lot of different ways to skin the cat. I think they are still available from EAA. Ask around the chapter I bet someone has one to loan.

The Tony Bingelis books are a bit of a lost treasure. I wish more current-day builders would read them. There is a wealth of great, basic how-to info in those books that many builders are missing out on. If more people would read the Tony B. books there would be a lot less traffic in the tech department at Sonex and other kit vendors.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:55 am

I bought the set years ago. Read them a bunch but not recently. Great books. I miss having Tony's column in SA.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Sonex