Sonex & Viking Mods?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Sonex & Viking Mods?

Postby DavidLawson » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:41 am

Greetings all,

I wanted to ask if anyone here has performed any of the "Viking Aircraft Engines" mods whereby the widen the cockpit 5" and put tank in the wings. Forgive my being naive, if putting tanks in the wings.. are the wings still removable/foldable?? I further wonder what the unintended consequences of widening the cockpit are (i.e drag, weight). Reason I ask is it would be nice to have more XC range.

Here is the you tube video I am referencing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKPQx81NzYw

Please forgive the sacrilege.

(If I am being honest, I want a longer range for solo/my dog combined with the Zenair floats)

I want to fully consider mods/pricing impact/impact to build process before purchasing plans, etc. (I want a clear mission/objective going in)

Regards,

David Lawson
DavidLawson

Re: Sonex & Viking Mods?

Postby rizzz » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:36 am

As far as I'm aware there is only one Sonex aircraft that has these mods done to it and that is the Viking factory prototype Waiex.
Also, the original purpose of these mods was to b able to raise the thrust line of the engine and allow for a larger prop as the original factory Viking Waiex without the mods had pitch trim issues with the Viking engine installed. Not sure if in the end this resolved the problems.
You can find more details on how/why this happened if you search the old Viking Yahoo group.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Return to Sonex