Will I fit?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Will I fit?

Postby DRieman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:38 am

Hello,

I am not a small man. Heck, I am not even "average size". I am 6' 6" tall, 22" across the shoulders, and should weigh 240 lbs. (I actually weigh 270 right now, but that can change.) I am currently working on my license in a C-172, and it is tight. Good thing I like my instructor.

I am looking for something a little more comfortable to fly after training is complete.

Will I fit in a Sonex? If I can, is there any hope for carrying both a passenger and fuel?

Finally, is there anyone near Colorado Springs that has a Sonex that I could try on?

Thanks in advance for your input, I am interested in the Sonex design, and have been a VW nut for a long time. So, being familiar with the power plant is another plus for me.
DRieman

Re: Will I fit?

Postby fastj22 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:54 am

We have 4 Sonex at KFLY you can visit. At your size you are welcome to sit in any of them, but you won't get a demo flight. You might fit if you fly center solo with a lowered seat, that's how my Waiex is configured. PM me for contact info.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby rizzz » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:16 pm

fastj22 wrote:We have 4 Sonex at KFLY you can visit. At your size you are welcome to sit in any of them, but you won't get a demo flight. You might fit if you fly center solo with a lowered seat, that's how my Waiex is configured. PM me for contact info.

This is off-topic but can I ask, how did you get the seat lowered on a center stick?
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby fastj22 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:25 pm

rizzz wrote:
fastj22 wrote:We have 4 Sonex at KFLY you can visit. At your size you are welcome to sit in any of them, but you won't get a demo flight. You might fit if you fly center solo with a lowered seat, that's how my Waiex is configured. PM me for contact info.

This is off-topic but can I ask, how did you get the seat lowered on a center stick?

It's my own solution. You have to fabricate a new push rod that clears the swinging aileron rods and drops it down. Otherwise it's a standard lowered seat.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Return to Sonex