Local or Regional Transition Training

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Postby Aldo » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:48 pm

Hello Everybody,

I will be taking possession of my Sonex next week. It is a tri-gear with the Aerovee 2.1. Does anybody know if there is a pilot in the KILM area that can help me with transition training.

Thanks!
Aldo / Sonex #0954
TriGear/ Aerovee
Southport, NC
Aldo

Re: Local or Regional Transition Training

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:54 pm

First, congratulations on the purchase of your Sonex! I'm sure you're going to love it! Can you provide any more details (or pictures) of your new airplane?

I'm not sure who all is around your area...hopefully someone is able to help! Just out of curiousity, have you considered traveling to Oshkosh for the T-Flight program? I know it's a bit of a journey but it's something to consider. Otherwise, hopefully you can find someone closer!

Again, congrats on the purchase! I can't wait to hear more about it!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Sonerai13 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:02 pm

With all the discussion at the FAA and around the aviation community about general aviation safety, and experimental aircraft safety specifically, the idea of organized transition training is definitely catching on. Sonex Aircraft LLC does not want or need to have a corner on the Sonex transition training market. We at Sonex encourage anyone who has a Sonex aircraft and is or knows a willing flight instructor to apply for a Letter of Deviation Authority (LODA) authorizing the use their airplane for-hire for transition training purposes. Mike Farley has already done so, and we would like to see many more of these LODAs for Sonex aircraft around the country. The more available and convenient we make this training, the more likely it will be utilized by Sonex builder and other potential Sonex pilots.

We love to have people come to Oshkosh and fly with us. But the important thing is not to get transition training in Oshkosh. The important thing is to get transition training! The more opportunities there are to do so, the more people will take advantage of those opportunities.

We will gladly help anyone who is interested in obtaining a LODA. We have been through the process and can help pave the way for others to do the same.

More available training will help all of us!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:45 pm

I'd just like to take a second and reinforce what Joe said about obtaining a LODA. The process is straightforward and your friends at the Foundation have already taken care of a lot of your paperwork. Refer to ww.sonexfoundation.com for additional information, inlcuding the T-Flight syllabus and more.

I live in central Ohio and have had people visit for orientation rides as well as dual instruction. Like Joe said, it sure would be nice to have a network of a lot of options for people!

Just out of curiousity, how many CFI's do we have out there?
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby ihab » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:12 pm

Sonerai13 wrote:We at Sonex encourage anyone who has a Sonex aircraft and is or knows a willing flight instructor to apply for a Letter of Deviation Authority (LODA) authorizing the use their airplane for-hire for transition training purposes.

I would very strongly suggest building a database and Website allowing purchasers to find and connect with local instructors and aircraft.

https://developers.google.com/maps/

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:25 pm

ihab wrote:I would very strongly suggest building a database and Website allowing purchasers to find and connect with local instructors and aircraft.

Great thought, but at this point I don't get the impression there are too many CFI's who also own a Sonex. I'm hoping there are at least a few but we shall see...
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby ihab » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:44 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:... at this point I don't get the impression there are too many CFI's who also own a Sonex.

Well the database could contain, and show on a map:

• Planes available for free non-instructional rides for familiarization;
  • Planes with a LODA available for hire with an instructor;
  • Instructors willing to instruct on said planes.

This would presumably include the hourly rates, time availability, contact information, and all that good stuff. A mass mailing and publicity blitz of epic proportions would ensure that anyone who ever bought a Sonex would get a glossy sheet telling them to get training and pointing them at the Website.

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:06 pm

So Ihab, you are willing to construct and maintain such a database? And fund this mass mailing campaign? Oh, and create the stuff we would send?

Just checking....

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby ihab » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Sonex1517 wrote:So Ihab, you are willing to construct and maintain such a database? And fund this mass mailing campaign? Oh, and create the stuff we would send?

I think Sonex is the only one who knows who all their customers are. I hope it would not be too expensive for them to send a letter to each one. The letter could ask them to go to a Website and register there (rides, plane for hire, instructor) and keep their registration up to date.

I am able to help with the tool selection and, to a reasonable extent, with the programming. I will start ASAP to look into what would be the most appropriate tool (Google Apps Script, Google App Engine, ...) for this. Please contact me directly if you'd like to talk more.

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby Stogie6 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:39 pm

???
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6