Gear Leg Fairings

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Gear Leg Fairings

Postby Fastcapy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:14 pm

My first plans set were way too long and didn't like them so I scrapped them. My current set are heavily modified from the plans design.

I used some posterboard as a template to get the size right and contour right and then transfered that to some .014 aluminum instead of the .025 so they were easier to form.

I ended up changing the curves so they sat better along the belly, made them with a slight taper, and did the split hinge pin and mounted them with a tab and nutplates on the belly.

I will say that when the factory says they give you a huge performance gain they are not kidding. My climb rate and cruise speeds went up more than expected after installing them!
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby funflyingguy » Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:09 pm

hey all,

jim / funflyingguy here. i am pretty new to this website and bought my legacy sonex 3 months ago from the 2nd owner. the last major thing i addressed was installing the main strut fairings on my tricycle gear sonex. the builder had probably followed the plans, making them 2 - 3" too long. i cut them down and shaped them to fit. i did not have to make any holes in the fuselage or attach the wheel pants. instead, i used the 2 center pin concept secured with a zip tie, contoured the bottom edge to ride against the outside of the brake shoe mounting plate preventing rotation, and....., secured many wrappings of 12" wide water-proof foam around the middle of each strut, so that the fairing squeezed it tight once the pins were inserted. it should not flutter or vibrate. it also wont hit the fuselage even going over runway bumps, because i left a small gap at the top (with edge protector on the top and bottom of each fairing.

i will add a pic or 2 if i can figure out how.....

jim
funflyingguy

Postby funflyingguy » Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:09 pm

so today i tested my temporary rudder trim tab and my newly attached strut fairings. happy to say both were flawless and the plane actually flew about 5 mph faster in level cruise at about 2500'. happy days.... and onto next project!

is there something special about adding pictures here? is "Img" in the extended editor the way with an image copy done beforehand?

jim
funflyingguy

Previous

Return to Sonex