Tires/Gear Leg/Toe In

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Tires/Gear Leg/Toe In

Postby N190YX » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:21 pm

It was definitely Burt Rutan who I heard say back in the day, at an early VeriEze workshop in Mojave, "If you are thinking about putting something on your airplane (not in the plans), throw it up. If it comes back down, it is too heavy". He did not actually say (not in the plans) but that was the context of what he was saying.

The thing about the larger than Sonex/Waiex plans' use of 500-5 tires is, if they make sense for your mission, do not select Goodyear Flight Custom III tires, because they weigh almost two pounds more, each tire, then other brand (and Goodyear Flight Custom II) 500-5 four ply tires, and that heavy and quality (long wearing) tire is not needed on a Sonex/Waiex. I thought quite a bit about tire weight and decided why put more wear on the retract mechanism of my factory retractable airplane having to lift significantly heavier tires into the wheel wells.

The comment about non-native plants penetrating tires in Australia was interesting, perhaps six or more ply tires instead of four ply could withstand those conditions better. I don't know if the additional plys extend past the tread into the sidewalls though.
N190YX

Postby daleandee » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:58 pm

builderflyer wrote:Regarding toe in. The plans called for toe in is set with the aircraft in a level position. But for a tailwheel aircraft, the tires actually experience a minor toe out condition when the tailwheel is lowered to the ground. So if one only taxis and makes 3 point takeoffs and landings as I do, the tires never experience any wear brought about by a toe in condition. For the tailwheel aircraft, that would only occur if one raises the tail on takeoff or when making wheel landings. Just a thought that some may have not considered.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261

Interesting thought that I haven't pondered over in much detail.

I do mostly three point landings as that's is what Sonex suggest. A few other tailwheel pilots of these aircraft have warned that wheel landings on pavement can get squirrelly pretty quick. Still ... I like a good wheel landing now and again. Not only do I need to keep in practice but they just feel so good sometimes when I can squeak one on! Tail low during take-off and landing is also something I do especially when flying from grass, which I really like to do.

I use the small factory tires i.e. 11X4-5 and they have worked quite well thus far ...
daleandee

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:54 pm

When I check and set the alignment, I was going to evaluate both the 3 point and level attitudes. I'll ballast up as well to simulate pilot weight.

I mostly do 3 point landings. I prefer to stand it on the mains for takeoff if the crosswind component is under 6kts or so. The aircraft does nice wheel landings. I don't think it is squirrelly on the mains at all.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby daleandee » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:49 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:I mostly do 3 point landings. I prefer to stand it on the mains for takeoff if the crosswind component is under 6kts or so. The aircraft does nice wheel landings. I don't think it is squirrelly on the mains at all.

I had heard that term used but it's not my personal opinion. Still, I tend to do much like you and keep the tailwheel on the ground if the winds are gusty.

I find a Sonex to be a very docile taildragger to take-off & land and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to be afraid of learning to fly a tailwheel Sonex. Of course those of us flying tailwheels hate to admit that it really doesn't take a super-human ace pilot to land one of these things as that tends to take the swagger out of the walk.
daleandee

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:16 pm

I had heard that term used but it's not my personal opinion. Still, I tend to do much like you and keep the tailwheel on the ground if the winds are gusty.

I find a Sonex to be a very docile taildragger to take-off & land and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to be afraid of learning to fly a tailwheel Sonex. Of course those of us flying tailwheels hate to admit that it really doesn't take a super-human ace pilot to land one of these things as that tends to take the swagger out of the walk.[/quote]

I am new to tailwheel aircraft - did my conversion in a Citabria, which I found to be okay but challenging at times - best landings were on grass.

My Sonex (all but the first few) landings on grass, I find much easier - don't know why. Similar approach/stall speed to the Citabria, seems less affected by X wind (lower to ground ?)
Skippydiesel

Postby tps8903 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:48 pm

Fixed my alignment today. Had to bring the gear legs home. There were shims in the weldments and I could not move them by hand. I had to put the legs in a vice and heat the weldments then use a tube on the axle as a lever to get it to move. Even then it was fairly difficult to move.

I rotated them both about 0.065". Once they cooled there was no moving them again. The heat required didn't even damage the paint. I used a standard propane torch for about 1 minute.

I was able to install them back on the plane and use the Gator V groove drill guide to drill the weldment and legs to 5/16" and consume the previous hole entirely. I used a carbide drill bit and it made short work of the titanium.

Plane tracks better, we will see how the tire wear goes. Initial measurements show 1.0° toe in.

As far as measuring goes. I used a straight 1x1 aluminum bar. 8' long. Marked the centerline and clamped it to the bare rim with the plane in a level position. I ran a centerline with a bob and thin waxed line.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby Murray Parr » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:45 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Weight is the enemy! My latest Cheng Shin tire and tube weighed in at 3.16 lbs. My worn tire was 0.6+ lbs lighter.
Cheng Shin weight.png

If weight is the enemy, why don't you use worn out 0.6lbs lighter tires exclusively ;-)
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:06 pm

Murray Parr wrote:
Bryan Cotton wrote:Weight is the enemy! My latest Cheng Shin tire and tube weighed in at 3.16 lbs. My worn tire was 0.6+ lbs lighter.
Cheng Shin weight.png

If weight is the enemy, why don't you use worn out 0.6lbs lighter tires exclusively ;-)

We had discussed that! Or at least doing the short field missions with worn tires!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby pfhoeycfi » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

I've decided that I will attempt to realign the main gear on my tailwheel sonex B. I have a pretty good shimmy that sets up just after landing for about 6 seconds, all other times are smooth, the shimmy only occurs w wheel pants on. The pant installation is solid. If anything I'm a lil to far toe in, pic attached. Go pro under the plane indicates most of the shimmy is on the left. My tires have no wear, the wheels do not tack in or out when ground handling the airplane. Ive tried new tires, balancing wheels and balancing the pants but I'm at a loss. My bolt holes are snug. I would imagine that I will rotate the axle assemblies less than a hole diameter. I'm looking for suggestions on how best to do the job. Oversize the existing holes? Drill new? If drilling new how far above or below the existing hole and does the bolt orientation matter, ie can the new hole be perpendicular to the old. Best method? I dont want to screw up....again.
Peter
Attachments
20240327_173750.jpg
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby Area 51% » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

Area 51% wrote:I had a similar issue. I had a machine shop relocate the mounting holes at the engine mount. This involved rotating the leg the required degree, and use a 5/16 bit. Then I bushed the hole back to 1/4.

I .
Attachments
DSCF2394.JPG
DSCF2393.JPG
Area 51%

Previous

Return to Sonex