Landing a Sonex

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Landing a Sonex

Postby Fastcapy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:06 pm

I guess I don't see the big issue with wheel landings in a Sonex. Many of my best landings in mine are wheelies. I really don't think the Sonex is difficult to land either way. Well, once you get used to the sight picture and the low seat height. It took me awhile to stop rounding out too high.

I think my 3 points got a lot better when I started treating them like tail low wheel landings. Set the attitude and fly it onto the runway, not pulling back on the stick to full stall. Use a blip of throttle to slow the descent rate if needed.

As for my standard. Drop below 100 on downwind, slowing to 90 abeam the numbers where I drop in 1 notch of flaps. Turn base and 80mph, drop in second notch of flaps. Turn final, speed around 70, power, slip or 3rd notch of flaps as needed. Over the fence shooting for 65, keep speed coming off, over the numbers at 50-55 and fly it onto the runway. If my speed feels a bit fast I will wheel land it, otherwise I aim for 3 point/tail low wheel landing. Really depends what the plane is giving me. I do a fair share of both in mine, so whatever it seems to want I just go with it rather than fight it to do one preferred method.

I do find my landings are better with the weight of another person as a passenger. Sometimes when I am light the gear seems to want to spring me back up a bit, nothing crazy, just not quite as smooth as when I am heavy and it seems to stick a bit better on touchdown.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:21 pm

Mike,

With over 500 hrs now on my Waiex, I still at times have to remind myself not to keep pulling elevator pressure (even though we don't call ruddervators, elevators) once the 3 pt. sight condition is reached. Unlike a Cub or a Citabria, you just don't bury the stick in your crotch like them. I completely, am guilty of tailwheel first landings. They can be done very gently in the Waiex without "slapping" the mains on.
They're not as butter smooth as a perfect 3pt. but they give that satisfactory "plop" that lets you know your done flying.
I only wheel land for fun. All it does is extend your ground run if conditions are calm because your touching down a wee bit faster. Still fun though.
The whole Sonex experience is still a hoot after 5 yrs.

Larry
Waiex121YX, Camit 3300, Skyview 500+ hrs.
LarryEWaiex121

Postby Corby202 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:13 pm

Thanks for the reply's to the landing question. Joe's comments is what I had figured out for myself. I use full flap most of the time once I have the runway made and down to 55-60 knots. I do not use full flap with a heavy passenger because I do not have the strength to get that lever back. I did take note of someone's comments a while back about never use full flap on a Sonex hence the landing question.
I used to have a "cub" replica, It had to be wheeled on every time. Three pointers in that usually resulted in hard landings unless the flare was spot on. The Sonex is totally opposite as I think there is not a great deal of attitude difference between wheel/three pointers. The directional control from the direct linked tailwheel is great and makes me want to keep to three pointers although wheelers might stop my tailplane from gravel rash damage.

Phil
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Postby DCASonex » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:58 am

Having electric flaps, one thing I do a bit differently on landing is how those are deployed.

Home airport is on hill top with cliff each end of runways. My electric flaps take about 8 seconds to fully deploy or retract, so to avoid situation where if engine should ever quit while on approach, and would want to quickly raise flaps, I use the following: (No info on extend - retract time of Sonex B series electric flaps, but this may be applicable to those as well.)

On downwind apply about 10 degrees of flap. (Per either Kerry or Jeremy at Sonex some years back the first 10 degrees add mostly lift, while additional amounts add mostly drag.) That first 10 degrees shifts center of lift aft, so flick the trim lever to full nose up at that point and leave it there. Apply remainder of flaps only when 100% certain will clear cliff at end of runway. Winds over those cliffs can be tricky so sometimes do not lower full flaps until almost over end of runway. With flap switch next to throttle, one hand stays on throttle, while other stays on the stick, which cannot do with manual flaps. Shoulder belts kept tight also.

David A. Sonex TD, CAMit 3300.
DCASonex

Previous

Return to Sonex