Weight and Balance with a 2.2 Jab

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Weight and Balance with a 2.2 Jab

Postby peter anson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:30 am

I'm a bit late in on this but only just noticed the post. You really need to be very careful not to build any extra aft weight or you'll have a dog, and a dangerous one at that. Brian Ham told me a horror story about test flying a badly built 2200 tail-dragger. Tony, Doug and Lynn Jarvis have all built 2200 Jab tail-draggers that fly well, but you can't have a luggage bay. If you can afford the 3300 I would heartily recommend it - the performance is fantastic. If you hunt around it is possible to buy them cheaply. My new old engine cost me much less than a new 2200. I think second hand is OK but you need to know the history of the engine.
Someone mentioned running larger props. 60" props don't have tip speed problems, after all, it's standard size on Jabiru aircraft. I am currently running a 60" prop on mine. Ground handling requires some care. I usually wheel it around by picking up the tail wheel so have to be a bit careful on uneven ground. Landings are not a problem because you normally land in a 3-point attitude.

Peter Anson
Sonex 894, 185 hours
peter anson

Postby Corby202 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:18 am

Thankyou.
Phil Bird
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Postby daleandee » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:39 am

peter anson wrote: ... have all built 2200 Jab tail-draggers that fly well, but you can't have a luggage bay.

No intent to contest this statement but just wanted some clarification as I've never heard this before. I do know that the 2200 tail-dragger Sonex is challenged with a rearward CG because the engine is so light but I've never known that no luggage bay was allowed. Obviously you have much experience with this so any further input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby tonyr » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi Dale,

re luggage bay, not so much that it "isn't allowed" , but with a 2200, if you want to remain within the CG parameters with a passenger, don't place any baggage behind the seat.
To prevent anyone i.e. future pilot from inadvertently loading the aircraft with a rearward CG, I have omitted a baggage facility behind the seat.

With a MTOW of 1100 pounds (80-85HP limit), empty weight of 640lbs , 2 people and full fuel, no baggage other than smalls for the weekend packed in a paper bag.. it would be virtually empty anyway!

Single OPs I put gear on the seat and on the passenger floor if required. One of my "CG cases" for max aft no fuel CG @ 32% MAC does have 30lbs in the rear but I wouldn't be going there practically.

Cheers Tony
Sonex #813
First Flight... 4 Oct 14
298 hours having fun!
http://sonexaus.wikispaces.com/Tony+%28Richo%29+Richardson+Sonex+813
tonyr

Postby daleandee » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply. I certainly don't have that concern with a Corvair on the nose. I think a lightly built 2200 tail dragger would be quite spritely and spirited like a (how did Jeffery describe his?) "go cart with wings!"

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Previous

Return to Sonex