Nose gear strut installation

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Nose gear strut installation

Postby steveald » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi guys,

I have installed the nose gear strut to the motor mount on my airframe. I had to use a ratchet strap to compress the spring approx 7/16" to be able to attach the horn flush with the top of the tube. Now the assembly will turn, but it is very stiff. I am assuming that when there is weight on the nose gear, this stiffness will go away, but I have no way to test this at this time.
Is it normal for the strut to be stiff like this, and how will it affect the rudder movement during flight? Thanks in advance for your insight regarding this.
Steve Aldridge
Sonex ST #1560
CYPK, BC Canada
steveald

Re: Nose gear strut installation

Postby fastj22 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 pm

Mine did not require compressing the spring to install. I think when you mount the engine and wings, it will be fine. Stiff is not necessarily bad.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Waiex 176 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:38 pm

I also had to use a ratchet strap to compress the spring. Very tight to turn by hand. Not noticeable at all when taxing.
John
Waiex 176

Postby steveald » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I went out to the hangar today and double checked all the measurements, and everything is as per the plans with the exception of the washers. They are called out as 1/16" thick, but were supplied by Sonex 1/8" thick. I only used one washer on either side of the spring, so the extra thickness has only reduced the spring area by 1/16". I guess the extra compression required is to pre-load the system for when it carries the weight of the aircraft.
Steve Aldridge
Sonex ST #1560
CYPK, BC Canada
steveald

Return to Sonex