Uavionics Echo UAT

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Uavionics Echo UAT

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:34 pm

Looking for new or gently used Echo UAT.
My friends are having hissy fit about me not having ADS-B in my 12 yr old Waiex.
I have Dynon Skyview and know I can go Dynon route but don’t want to spend what they want because of need to replace my Trig 21 transponder.
Don’t see many other viable (less costly) options.
Msg me if you have one available.
Uavionics might not produce any more Echo’s do to problems with altitude reporting issues in low coverage areas according to factory reps.
They say existing owners will probably get encoders sent to them to beef up altitude reporting issues.
Larry
LarryEWaiex121

Re: Uavionics Echo UAT

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:27 pm

LarryEWaiex121 wrote:Uavionics might not produce any more Echo’s do to problems with altitude reporting issues in low coverage areas according to factory reps.

Has this been confirmed? I was really hoping to get one when they started producing them again.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Weatherpilot » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:21 pm

Yeah, I would like to know if it has been confirmed too. I've been waiting too.
Greg Hubert
Sonex A #972 TD
Aerovee Prince P-Tip / Dual stick
Third Owner
Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia
Weatherpilot

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:34 pm

I’m in AZ. for 10 days to get out of the cold and gloom in CoeurdAlene this winter. Stumbled onto the Buckeye AOPA Fly-in and air show. Uavionics was showing along with about everything else. The guy I spoke with told me it may or may not be produced again.
The description of the problem I mentioned, is on the Uavionics site. I’ve had one on order since Nov. and they quit giving me updates. Therefore my assumption it might be toast.
The cost to do all the additions to my Skyview for ADS-B would run probably $4,500 with me doing the installation. It’s only money but at 67 and soon 68 I question how long I’m going to be in this game?
Unfortunately, the best fly in restaurants are always at towered airports.
LarryEWaiex121

Postby Weatherpilot » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:23 am

I hear ya. Don't want to look at $3k+ for a Trig setup replacing my working transponder just to put in ADS-B. GDL82 by Garmin is still $2K plus. I can't do Skybeacon because I don't have tail or nav lights.
Greg Hubert
Sonex A #972 TD
Aerovee Prince P-Tip / Dual stick
Third Owner
Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia
Weatherpilot

Postby Scott Todd » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:26 am

It wouldn't be that hard to add a tail beacon. Someone makes or you could scratch up from some thin sheet metal a little mount to stick it on the little sub rudder. A quick call to Sonex to make sure the added weight won't be a flutter issue would be prudent.
Scott Todd

Postby 13brv3 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:52 pm

The tailbeacon also doesn't need to be on the tail, or even visible. If you have fiberglass wingtips, I'm 99% sure they said you can mount it to the outside rib, inside the wingtip. You'd keep the orientation of the blades vertical like they would be on the tail. You can't put it inside of aluminum of course because it would block the signal. I pestered Uavionics quite a bit before finally settling on the skybeacon/skysensor combo, and that was one of the options they threw out.
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:22 pm

If I had to go with a tail beacon I think I'd add it to the left tail. Would be a pain to run wires, etc.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby builderflyer » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:08 am

LarryEWaiex121 wrote:I’m in AZ. for 10 days to get out of the cold and gloom in CoeurdAlene this winter. Stumbled onto the Buckeye AOPA Fly-in and air show. Uavionics was showing along with about everything else. The guy I spoke with told me it may or may not be produced again.
The description of the problem I mentioned, is on the Uavionics site. I’ve had one on order since Nov. and they quit giving me updates. Therefore my assumption it might be toast.
The cost to do all the additions to my Skyview for ADS-B would run probably $4,500 with me doing the installation. It’s only money but at 67 and soon 68 I question how long I’m going to be in this game?
Unfortunately, the best fly in restaurants are always at towered airports.

Hi Larry, when my crappy Microair transponder failed for the umpteenth time, I pulled it and the Echo out of my Sonex and went with the Dynon option........no regrets as it's worked flawlessly. Like you said it's only money and being quite a bit older than you, I don't choose to die with any money in the bank for others to enjoy.

BTW I was also at Buckeye. Sorry to have missed seeing you. Last time we met was at Rio Linda quite a few years ago.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:36 pm

Art,
Good hearing from you. I remember your Sonex well. Yes, I believe 2014 was my last visit to Rio Linda.
Just rolled over 1048 hrs on my Waiex.
My friends are really bugging me to get ADS-B out at least. They can never seem to find me. Easy for me to shoot them down!
When I built this thing I wasn't concerned about traffic in my area. Now things have done a complete flip and the summers here in CoeurdAlene are a freaking zoo. Privately owned 757's, 737's, Gulfstreams of every size and description along with Citations, PC12's, Phenoms. etc. The operations manager is a GA sort of guy and he was telling me that the Friday after Labor Day we had 97 IFR departures. Conditions were VFR. That tells you the "kind" of traffic we're getting here.
Last fall I'm coming in to land and I'm right downwind for runway 2. The 5,000' runway. Runway 6/24 was closed for resurfacing. A G 4 called 29 miles south, 16,000' and "on final" for runway 2. Of course there were 4 bug smashers going roundy round training. The students have the perception that if you don't havve ADS-B, you simply don't exist because your not on their screen. I'm old school and head on a swivel anywhere near an airport. Obviously times change and systems improve. I've got to upgrade one way or the other.
The last four years CoeurdAlene has had a temporary tower from about July 1st till Mid Sept.
Last Sept. I got put on a four mile final for 20 and told I had traffic on short final for 24. We have runways essentially starting at the same spot and crossing traffic near final. I ended up have a jet go right past my nose on a right base for 24 and it was pretty sporty to say the least. The one's that were supposed to be short final. I have my doubts as to the safety imparted by such a move on the part of the controllers. It was clear and vis unlimited at the time. The controllers have been polite and do their best but are not familiar with local landmarks and cater to the jet traffic and hold up taxi and runway crossing forever in the summer. I've literally shut down to keep from overheating on the ground. It doesn't take long to figure out who the airport is operated for. Ah, progress I suppose?
Got sent a PM about an Echo on Ebay and put in a bid but it went for $50 more than my bid. Looked quite used.
I'll eventually sort this out. Later.
Larry
LarryEWaiex121

Return to Avionics and Instruments