MGL iEFIS AOA Setup

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

MGL iEFIS AOA Setup

Postby JFYrineo » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:35 am

Who can share how they setup and utilize AOA with an MGL iEFIS Lite 8.5” Explorer? What probe (e.g. Dynon), mounting, installation, photos?
JFYrineo

Re: MGL iEFIS AOA Setup

Postby Onex107 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:59 pm

I was an AOA rebel I guess. I made the probe from the internet plans. The probe was made from sandwiched 1/4 alum. The long drilled holes were scored w/ Dremel cutoff wheel to help keep the drill from wandering. It was mounted on an inspection plate in the left wing with short pcs of angle. Adjusting the mounting angle to set the stall point. Plastic tubing to a differential pressure gage ( $75 ) mounted on the top left corner of the panel, in the site line to the runway worked great. You will be amazed at how close you come to stall speed in the pattern, on final, and during high speed turns at altitude. It is absolutely necessary during the "Impossible Turn" back to the runway. It should be standard equipment on all airplanes.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Re: MGL iEFIS AOA Setup

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:18 pm

Homemade AoA probe, supplying Dynon Skyview - seems to work. The Dynon allows callibration of the probe ie don't need to adjust probe angles.
Skippydiesel

Return to Avionics and Instruments