uAvionix AV-30-E Primary Flight Display with AV-LINK

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

uAvionix AV-30-E Primary Flight Display with AV-LINK

Postby daleandee » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:16 pm

I recently priced out a nice Dynon set-upfor my Sonex (7" display, A/P, Comm, etc) and was not surprised to learn that the cost was prohibitive. Don't misunderstand me as I know that Dynon is top shelf but putting almost half the cost of the entire build in the panel for a day VFR flyer is not on my list of things that I'm willing to do.

So in looking for a nice upgrade to the older MGL units I have now (they work fine) I have been considering the AV-30-E. It has a lot to offer and appears to be a good bang for the buck upgrade.

Maybe some of you can give me answers to a few questions I have (opinions welcomed too).

1) Has anyone mounted one of these units in a Sonex? A search of the site did not find any hits for the AV-30-E.

2) Can it be mounted to the 30º panel? I have an email into uAvionix but haven't received a reply as of yet.

3) I know it can display GPS information when fed NEMA info. I have an iFly 740b and a Garmin portable 196. I'd like to feed it with the Garmin. Does anyone know if that is possible?

4) I read that it can display traffic from my Echo UAT ADSB unit but I believe that requires the WI-Fi add on (goes in the line between the unit and the wiring harness). I also believe that the Wi-Fi unit lets you update the software without having to make an additional connector to the d-sub connector on the rear of the unit.

It is also reported that the unit is very accurate when using a external magnetometer (which is a $300.00 unit).

Thoughts, suggestions, opinions?

TIA

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel

P.S. Went for a short ride today (about 40 minutes) and yes, I'm still in love ... 8~)
daleandee

Re: uAvionix AV-30-E Primary Flight Display with AV-LINK

Postby Weatherpilot » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:13 pm

I have a set of AV-30C's in my 1957 172. One for main AI one for DG hooked up to a Garmin GNC-355 Nice setup.

Yes you can feed GPS data from the 196. Need the Garmin cable for that to work. On Spruce in the Q&As for the AV-30 they give the part number I think.

Yes it will display traffic but not in the Attitude Indicator mode only in the DG/HSI mode. And yes you need the $300 do-hickey to make that happen. That d-hickey also helps when updating software as you can do it directly from your laptop to the device using the built-in WiFi. (no crawling under the panel to connect the update cable)

Prob can mount on the panel with the 30 degree tilt. During install setup you can take care of that.

Magnetometer is needed. AV-30 has an internal magnetometer but it sucks.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps. BTW - I am putting an Ultra-EFIS in my Sonex legacy. Costs about half and does the same stuff. Except traffic.
Greg Hubert
Sonex A #972 TD
Aerovee Prince P-Tip / Dual stick
Third Owner
Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia
Weatherpilot

Postby Weatherpilot » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:15 pm

Also, AV-30E with Av-Link $1795 at AllAvionics.com Best price I have found...
Greg Hubert
Sonex A #972 TD
Aerovee Prince P-Tip / Dual stick
Third Owner
Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia
Weatherpilot

Postby daleandee » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:56 pm

Hello Greg,

Yes that helps immensely! Appreicate the pirep ..

Dale

PS: Now you got me looking at the AvMap Ultra-EFIS. 8~)
Last edited by daleandee on Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby builderflyer » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:59 pm

Dale........just my opinion. For background, I have the full Dynon setup in my Sonex and the AV-30s/tailbeaconX setup in my Cessna. If your Cleanex is the airplane that you plan on keeping the rest of your flying days, and you have more than enough cash in your bank account, and your lifestyle going forward will not have to change if you spend some of that cash, go full Dynon. You know you want one of the best or you wouldn't have made the effort to price it out. Believe me, you'll love having the Dynon as it brings a whole new level of satisfaction that you'll appreciate every time you go flying. And, as time goes by, you won't even remember or care how much you paid for it.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby daleandee » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:09 pm

builderflyer wrote:You know you want one of the best or you wouldn't have made the effort to price it out. Believe me, you'll love having the Dynon as it brings a whole new level of satisfaction that you'll appreciate every time you go flying. And, as time goes by, you won't even remember or care how much you paid for it.

Hello Art,

You are not making this any easier ... 8~)

But for all the goodies I wanted it would be north of 15K. It's getting to be winter and the dog house is not heated ...
daleandee

Postby builderflyer » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:20 pm

daleandee wrote:
builderflyer wrote:You know you want one of the best or you wouldn't have made the effort to price it out. Believe me, you'll love having the Dynon as it brings a whole new level of satisfaction that you'll appreciate every time you go flying. And, as time goes by, you won't even remember or care how much you paid for it.

Hello Art,

You are not making this any easier ... 8~)

But for all the goodies I wanted it would be north of 15K. It's getting to be winter and the dog house is not heated ...

Dale, I started out with just the 7" screen that I got from Jeff Schultz when he was upgrading to the latest model. But to make the screen useful, I had to buy the flight module and the engine module. Then my Microair transponder died so I added the Dynon transponder. Then all that was needed was two servos and I'd have a 2 axis autopilot. Lastly it would sure be nice to have the Dynon comm radio and intercom to finish the package so i bought those but haven't installed them yet. So I didn't spend very much at one time and I can't really tell you how much in total I've spent except to say, it hasn't been too painful.

How about you.........do you have to buy everything at one time or could you spread it out over time to lessen the pain?

Art
builderflyer

Postby daleandee » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:18 am

builderflyer wrote:How about you.........do you have to buy everything at one time or could you spread it out over time to lessen the pain?

I've considered both ways. I don't have the funds (yet) to buy all the goodies I'd want but doing it in parts & pieces doesn't appeal to me. I've considered just starting a savings plan to get to where I want to go but honestly the cost is staggering to me for a simple VFR day time flyer.

In reality I have the things I need now and most that I want (well the single axis AP could become a two axis) ... it's just being displayed on various units instead of one.

Deep down I know that changes to Light Sport are coming and I'm also considering another aircraft build. Saving funds on this plane would give me a great start on a high wing ... should I decide to build one of those. 8~)
daleandee

Return to Avionics and Instruments