GPS Receiver

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Re: GPS Receiver

Postby builderflyer » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:46 am

While Dynon says that painting their gps antenna/receiver is not a concern, I just wouldn't bother to do so. My Sonex has both the gps2020 and gps250 (as a backup) mounted on the black glareshield and their white color has never been noticed while flying. They do not create any noticeable reflection and are not a visual distraction at all, so not worth painting. Just my opinion.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby 13brv3 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:32 pm

It's actually odd that Dynon told him he could paint it, because all of their documentation says NOT to paint it. It's hard to believe paint will make any difference though, unless it's some sort of metallic paint. Probably an overcautious rule.

I had a GPS251 on my black glareshield, and never thought one moment about it.

Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby DCASonex » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:37 am

FWIW: The instructions with my Garmin GPS were clear. Do NOT Paint.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:05 pm

The GPS250 seems to be the most available used item that Dynon sold, thanks to the ADSB upgrade. Here's one for $50 in North Carolina via Facebook Marketplace. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 532409327/ Likely no help for the OP though.

Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby builderflyer » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:55 pm

13brv3 wrote:It's actually odd that Dynon told him he could paint it, because all of their documentation says NOT to paint it. It's hard to believe paint will make any difference though, unless it's some sort of metallic paint.

Rusty

I'm not finding it in Dynon's current installation manual but Dynon's earlier manuals clearly said that it was ok to paint the gps antenna/receiver. As Rusty says, though, seems like only some kinds of paint containing metallic substances would be an issue.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:12 pm

builderflyer wrote:I'm not finding it in Dynon's current installation manual but Dynon's earlier manuals clearly said that it was ok to paint the gps antenna/receiver. As Rusty says, though, seems like only some kinds of paint containing metallic substances would be an issue.

I don't see anything in a quick search of the manuals, but at the end of each of the item descriptions for the GPS units they say must not be painted.

https://shop.dynon.com/products/sv-gps- ... ver-module
https://shop.dynon.com/products/sv-gps- ... ver-module

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:13 pm

Thank you all for your very informative responses.

On the strength of Dynon's written response to me, I painted & installed my GPS antenna.

All your advice regarding the nil visual impact and Dynon's installation advise (not to paint) has come after my hasty actions. In future I will take the time to allow for your collective advise to come in.
Skippydiesel

Previous

Return to Avionics and Instruments