Foreflight 20% price increase.

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Foreflight 20% price increase.

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:35 pm

And I will be out.

I'm just finishing testing the iFlyGPS app. It is a little rougher around the edges but is intuitive enough to pick up quickly and much more importantly - it is cross platform. Win/MAC/Android. It synchs your data and settings cross platform. It is not full of bloat code I do not need and GeoRefefencing is built in. Not an upcharge.

I will be able to dump the iPad next time it wears out and get a cheap android tablet.

DON'T FORGET TO CANCEL YOUR AUTORENEW......
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Re: Foreflight 20% price increase.

Postby builderflyer » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:58 am

Graeme, I'm a longtime, satisfied customer of Ifly gps. Then, I switched to the "cheap" android tablet option when that became available. I also have the Ifly gps app on my android phone as a backup at no additional cost. Compared to an Ipad, the android tablet has no issues with overheating or being washed out in the bright sunshine found in our Sonex cockpits. A couple of years ago when my pilot neighbor, who had been using foreflight, saw the Ifly in action, he immediately cancelled his subscription to foreflight and signed up with Ifly. You shouldn't be disappointed. It's a good company with a good product.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:31 am

At the same time that ForeFlight upped their price, they discontinued my "Legacy" pro subscription level. I had been a subscriber for years, at the original "pro" level, which doesn't include the logbook and several other of the newer features. I didn't need the extra stuff, so I just stuck with what I had. Well, they recently sent me a notice that I would no longer be able to continue that subscription and would have to switch to one of the current ones.

Well, I switched alright! I switched to FltPlan Go, which is totally free and does all the stuff I need it to do. Suck it, ForeFlight!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby iancshippee » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:23 am

I'm really glad this thread came along, when tax returns come in I was planning to take the swan dive into the EFB world. glad to be armed with more information, thanks Graeme!
Sonex A project #0823
N1127S reserved
Foster, RI
iancshippee

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:24 pm

I've been using the iFly software for years, and like it compared to the others I've tried. I use their 740b hardware as well, which I like due to it's brightness, though it's pretty glossy. I do hate the way it mounts though. It sounds as if they'd like to move away from hardware, and I wonder if the 740b is the last hardware they'll offer.
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby daleandee » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:48 pm

13brv3 wrote:I've been using the iFly software for years, and like it compared to the others I've tried. I use their 740b hardware as well, which I like due to it's brightness, though it's pretty glossy. I do hate the way it mounts though. It sounds as if they'd like to move away from hardware, and I wonder if the 740b is the last hardware they'll offer.
Rusty

I had an iFly 720 before I bought my current 740b unit. I like the 740b tremendously but like you I don't know why the mount was changed from the style on the 720. The hardware has been flawless as far as the 740b is concerned (I did have a problem with the older 720 unit at one time).

The software is upgraded from time to time and does all that I need it to do. I have it loaded on my phone also and (as you probably know) planning on the phone can be moved over to the unit.

The only complaint I currently have is that contrary to what they have claimed I cannot get the iFly 740b to send a serial input to my Trio EZ auto-pilot. I bought their specific cable and even returned the unit to them. They replaced the cable and said the problem wasn't on their end. Maybe so but my old Garmin 196 feeds the AP perfectly. I don't like running two GPS units but that's what I'm currently doing.

FWIW ...

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby BRS » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:50 pm

I tried Foreflight for a year (many years ago) but found it to be too much software for how I fly.
Switched to FlyQ and have loved it for the past 10(?) years or so. Great program and more intuitive than 4flight.
I also keep a copy of WingX on both my ipad and android phone.

If you are a CFI you can get FlyQ for $19/year and WingX for free.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Return to Avionics and Instruments