Dynon Pitot Head

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Dynon Pitot Head

Postby Skippydiesel » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:06 am

My new Sonex is fitted with the Dynon SkyView system.

It has the capacity to give an angle of attack report, if fitted with the Dynon pitot head.

The angle of attack data can be set to give a pre stall warning potentially a good substitute for a conventional stall warning system

Anyone had any experience with the Dynon Pitot Head, its claim for angle of attack sensing and its potential to provide a pre stall warning //
Skippydiesel

Re: Dynon Pitot Head

Postby gcm52 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:47 am

I have this in my Onex and it works great. Be sure and activate the audio for the AOA because your eyes are looking outside and not at the panel for most of the landing approach.
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby builderflyer » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:17 am

Skippydiesel wrote:My new Sonex is fitted with the Dynon SkyView system.

It has the capacity to give an angle of attack report, if fitted with the Dynon pitot head.

The angle of attack data can be set to give a pre stall warning potentially a good substitute for a conventional stall warning system

Anyone had any experience with the Dynon Pitot Head, its claim for angle of attack sensing and its potential to provide a pre stall warning //

It's not necessary to use the "Dynon Pitot Head" to obtain AOA sensing on the Skyview. You can easily make your own system using a downward angling tube or even a rivet placed at the proper location on the wing skin. If you're interested in the tube idea, I can send you a photo showing what works well on my Sonex. If you are interested in the rivet idea, take a look at what Jeff Shultz has done. You'll want to use the audible warning, not the depiction of AOA on the Dynon screen. Once having this system up and calibrated, you'll never want to fly without it.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:53 am

builderflyer wrote:[quote

It's not necessary to use the "Dynon Pitot Head" to obtain AOA sensing on the Skyview. You can easily make your own system using a downward angling tube or even a rivet placed at the proper location on the wing skin. If you're interested in the tube idea, I can send you a photo showing what works well on my Sonex. If you are interested in the rivet idea, take a look at what Jeff Shultz has done. You'll want to use the audible warning, not the depiction of AOA on the Dynon screen. Once having this system up and calibrated, you'll never want to fly without it.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261

Thanks BF - It would seem the conscience. of opinion is having A of A is a good ide (especially when there is no prevision for stall warning).

I am not familiar with Jeff Shultz's work and probably not in a position to fabricate my own pitot head at this time.

My only other concern is will the Dynon head fit my existing locations - I will seek mounting specifications from my local Dynon agent.
Skippydiesel

Return to Avionics and Instruments