COM antenna

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Re: COM antenna

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:55 pm

WesRagle wrote:Hi Kai,

I had an icom-A200 in my old Sonex.

I had a whip antenna on the bottom of the airplane. None the less, I had problems with ignition noise. The details are a little foggy now, but somehow I discovered that there was an adjustment that could be made to squelch the noise. The adjustment is on the back of the radio. You have to slide the radio out of the tray to access it. After fiddling with that a little the radio worked great.

Wes

That is a nice, very simple panel. what did you use for airspeed and altitude?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rick524 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:38 pm

To answer Kai's question, my antenna is https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ckkey=9801 , but any
resonant antenna should work fine. The coax is RG400, I have an MGL ferrite bead suppressor on the coax. The voltage to the radio is from the avionics bus with a ferrite suppressor on the 12V line. Antenna is on the turtle deck, with no obstructions near it, as it would have on the belly, caused by the landing gear. Radio is an X-comm 760, nothing special. Engine is a Jab 3300A.

Rick
C-GRIX
Rick524

Postby WesRagle » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:08 pm

Hi Bryan,

Bryan Cotton wrote:That is a nice, very simple panel. what did you use for airspeed and altitude?

There is an option for the EIS that inputs pitot-static which allows the EIS to display altitude and airspeed. It worked OK but sometimes on final Oil Pressure would drop below the lower limit and auto switch to the Oil Pressure screen which didn't display airspeed. That was annoying. I like to keep an eye on airspeed on final.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Previous

Return to Avionics and Instruments