MGL Xtreme

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

MGL Xtreme

Postby pilotyoung » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:07 am

I just bought a Onex with an MGL Xtreme in it. I am going to fly the Onex home next week and I am trying to learn about the MGL Xtreme before I go to get the Onex.

The Xtreme manual says in about 3 places that it only has one serial port. But when you look at the pinout for the connector on the back, it has pins for 2 serial ports.

Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks.

John
pilotyoung

Re: MGL Xtreme

Postby NWade » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:30 pm

pilotyoung wrote:I just bought a Onex with an MGL Xtreme in it. I am going to fly the Onex home next week and I am trying to learn about the MGL Xtreme before I go to get the Onex.

The Xtreme manual says in about 3 places that it only has one serial port. But when you look at the pinout for the connector on the back, it has pins for 2 serial ports.

Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks.

John

John -

A standard serial port (RS-232) uses two wires: a “transmit” and a “receive”. Hence you need 2 pins**.

Hope this helps!
—Noel

**Note: Technically its possible to have a 1 wire serial connection (either transmit-only or receive-only) by connecting the second wire to ground. But this is not universally supported by all devices.
NWade

Postby pilotyoung » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:29 pm

Thanks. I understand it takes two wires. It shows pins 5-8, as port 1 and port 2 trans and receive. I tried to copy the picture and post it here but it didn't turn out right.
pilotyoung

Postby rick9mjn » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:36 pm

i also saw in one of the 110 page install manuals for MGL X treme , their are "two", 2 wire serial ports, one call port 1 and the other call ed port 2,.......
...port "1' pin#8=rx, pin#7=tx........
...port "2" pin#5=tx,,pin#6=rx===for External GPS receiver
........of 110 page manual see pages 60, 61,59,92,105,106............
i ""think""" i am reading this right, if you are using a External GPS receiver, connect it to pin #6 of ""15pin DIN,serial port2"
.....good day rick......
IMHO-IMBW,,,,,,i my humble opinion,i may be wrong
rick9mjn

Postby pilotyoung » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:06 pm

Rick,

That is exactly what I see. But three times in the text of the manual it says it only has one serial port. So I guess they added a serial port and didn't update the text.

Thanks.

John
pilotyoung

Postby rick9mjn » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:12 pm

here a another, info / install manual i found....hopefully the link, it will work for you
good day / rick

https://support.michiganavionics.com/po ... nline=true
rick9mjn

Postby rick9mjn » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:28 pm

here is a link called """"XTreme General Connection Diagrams"""
good day / rick

https://support.michiganavionics.com/po ... n-diagrams
rick9mjn

Postby pilotyoung » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:45 pm

Rick,

You are finding the same stuff I did. I guess my thoughts were right that they added a second serial port but did not update the wording in the text of the manual.

Thanks.

John
pilotyoung

Postby pilotyoung » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:14 am

I called Michigan Avionics today and talked to Adam. He was very helpful and answered all my questions. The number of serial ports depends on the model. Generation one had one serial port. Generation two has two serial ports.
pilotyoung

Return to Avionics and Instruments