Sandia 165R

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Sandia 165R

Postby bvolcko38 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:37 am

Ok, I've installed my transponder. What's next? Do I need to have it tested? Calibrated? Approved? If so, by who?
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Re: Sandia 165R

Postby Jerry09w » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:10 am

§ 91.413 ATC transponder tests and inspections.
(a) No persons may use an ATC transponder that is specified in 91.215(a), 121.345(c), or § 135.143(c) of this chapter unless, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the ATC transponder has been tested and inspected and found to comply with appendix F of part 43 of this chapter; and

(b) Following any installation or maintenance on an ATC transponder where data correspondence error could be introduced, the integrated system has been tested, inspected, and found to comply with paragraph (c), appendix E, of part 43 of this chapter.

(c) The tests and inspections specified in this section must be conducted by -

(1) A certificated repair station properly equipped to perform those functions and holding -

(i) A radio rating, Class III;

(ii) A limited radio rating appropriate to the make and model transponder to be tested;
(iii) A limited rating appropriate to the test to be performed;

(2) A holder of a continuous airworthiness maintenance program as provided in part 121 or § 135.411(a)(2) of this chapter; or

(3) The manufacturer of the aircraft on which the transponder to be tested is installed, if the transponder was installed by that manufacturer.
Jerry09w

Postby bvolcko38 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:17 am

(3) The manufacturer of the aircraft on which the transponder to be tested is installed, if the transponder was installed by that manufacturer.
That's me!
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby lakespookie » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:19 pm

bvolcko38 wrote:(3) The manufacturer of the aircraft on which the transponder to be tested is installed, if the transponder was installed by that manufacturer.
That's me!

Love the "That's me!" But can you ensure that it meets part 43 Appendix F, which typically requires a special test set to do frequency and response time analysis, Plus if the installation at all touched or could have affected the air data side the appendix E tests?????

This is one of those things that unless your are an A&P/Avionics shop with the equipment or have someone that fits that bill in your EAA chapter you are probably going to have to shell out to one of those guys. Based on my elementary interpretation of the legaleaze can you do the test sure. Are you equipped to do the test IDK but I suspect not.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby XenosN42 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:39 pm

lakespookie wrote:This is one of those things that unless your are an A&P/Avionics shop with the equipment or have someone that fits that bill in your EAA chapter you are probably going to have to shell out to one of those guys. Based on my elementary interpretation of the legaleaze can you do the test sure. Are you equipped to do the test IDK but I suspect not.

I agree. Any avionics shop can to the test. I had mine tested last month and the cost was $120. I thought it was worth it & I got a chance to help a local small businessman (who was very friendly and had some good stories about local aviation history).
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Return to Avionics and Instruments