Alternate connectors for older radios & transponders

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Alternate connectors for older radios & transponders

Postby sonex1374 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:31 am

Seeing Brian's build log post ( see viewtopic.php?t=578&p=41244#p41244) regarding the scarcity of original pins for the older (almost obsolete) connectors used on 70's and 80's era avionics, I thought I'd pass along an alternate source. This is especially important for those looking to buy old avionics at bargain prices that may not include a complete wiring harnesses or extra pins for their existing connectors.

PC board "Card Edge Connectors" are compatible with these old avionics connectors. The card edge connectors are sold as a single unit with all pins permanently installed in the plastic connector housing. Each pin will require soldering to the appropriate wire (rather than crimping a contact onto the wire and inserting it into the connector body). However, if you buy a connector with the same pin spacing and number of contacts it will likely be compatible.

Ebay and Amazon are good sources of these connectors, but some internet searching will yield other sources as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAMMA-30-Pin-A ... 1736912323
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-3-96mm-Pi ... 0079SJTIA/

Bob Nuckolls turned me on to this idea years ago, and I've used these connectors successfully for years. If you find yourself in a jam, give these a try.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Re: Alternate connectors for older radios & transponders

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:26 am

Awesome! My next radio will be less obsolete!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby rick9mjn » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:50 pm

to add my .02 cent.......... to "sonex1374" good notes; about using , PC board "Card Edge Connectors" ,
some of the std. PC boards have DOUBLE leaf's per pin ,. so in some usages they are twice as good as the ""70's and 80's era avionics"" .....and i have used them on radio's for home usage, and they worked good....
good luck / good day / rick
rick9mjn

Postby rick9mjn » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:56 pm

""corrected"""--to add my .02 cent.......... to "sonex1374" good notes; about using , PC board "Card Edge Connectors" ,
....some of the std. PC boards "connectors" have DOUBLE spring leaf's per pin ,. so in some usages they are twice as good as the ""70's and 80's era avionics"" .....and i have used them on radio's for home usage, and they worked good....
good luck / good day / rick
rick9mjn

Return to Avionics and Instruments