Dynon HDX-800 Static Port Location?

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Dynon HDX-800 Static Port Location?

Postby CFM-YP » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Candler Field Museum Youth Program Installing Dynon HDX-800 in Early Sonex Sport Trainer, taildragger. S/N 1695. Need suggestions on location of static ports. Dynon states "in a undisturbed air area" - both sides of fuselage. Has anyone installed static ports for a Dynon system and what are you results? Sonex and Dynon tech folks have made recommendations but no specifics? help!
CFM-YP

Re: Dynon HDX-800 Static Port Location?

Postby pappas » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:56 am

I used the Dynon Static port kit. The ports are 1 inch below the turtledeck longeron and 1 inch in front of the first bulkhead aft of the baggage compartment. I installed them in the same place on my RV-8. Sonex doesn't really give us any guidance and testing an airframe for "undisturbed air" during flight is not practical for most of us. Additionally, some say that you shouldn't place them on a fuselage like ours that tapers as that is not directly parallel to the airflow. However, Vans has been doing that for 30 years with no ill effects. So I did too. Make sure you get the system calibrated though. Another thought. Cessnas have the ports in front of their doors in the panels that are parallel with the airflow in level flight. The B models have that option as well and would be a good choice if you place your ADAHRS behind the panel or in the front of the fuselage somewhere. Mine is in back.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby pfhoeycfi » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:47 pm

pappas wrote:I used the Dynon Static port kit. The ports are 1 inch below the turtledeck longeron and 1 inch in front of the first bulkhead aft of the baggage compartment. I installed them in the same place on my RV-8. Sonex doesn't really give us any guidance and testing an airframe for "undisturbed air" during flight is not practical for most of us. Additionally, some say that you shouldn't place them on a fuselage like ours that tapers as that is not directly parallel to the airflow. However, Vans has been doing that for 30 years with no ill effects. So I did too. Make sure you get the system calibrated though. Another thought. Cessnas have the ports in front of their doors in the panels that are parallel with the airflow in level flight. The B models have that option as well and would be a good choice if you place your ADAHRS behind the panel or in the front of the fuselage somewhere. Mine is in back.

Did you put 2 or 1 port in. Mine will go directly to the MX on the panel...prob install them in the back.
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby pappas » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:25 pm

I put 2 static ports in. One on each side of the fuselage exactly opposite each other. They are 1 inch below the upper longeron, and 1 inch behind the cross former that would make the rear limit of a "baggage compartment".
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Return to Avionics and Instruments