options for cheaply adding ADS-B Out to my Waiex

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Re: options for cheaply adding ADS-B Out to my Waiex

Postby Mikegaydos » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:12 am

Sonex1517 wrote:Hey Mike

I have GRT avionics, and since the uAvionix Echo requires a WAAS GPS that meets the same standards as a certified GPS, I chose a combination GRT SafeFLY 2020 GPS and the uAvionix Echo because they came as a known solution. Other than some cruddy documentation, it really was a great solution.

I am relatively sure all the other manufacturers offer paired sets also. Look at Dynon, Garmin, GRT, and other manufacturers that offer experimental avionics to see what they offer - I’d stick with something you know works together. That’s why I chose to use GRT.

For me, this made the most sense and cost me about $1500. If you are still deciding on avionics, this can be part of that decision.

Not sure if that helps.

Yes it does. This seems like a good starting point and something to compare to the other options. Thanks!
MikeG
Waiex-B #44
Lake Worth, FL
Mikegaydos

Postby Rofomoto » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:18 am

Will any altitude encoder work with my Garmin gtx 327 transponder? I have all steam gauges and am thinking about the echo for adsb. Thanx Billy
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby DCASonex » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:32 am

Put a Garmin GDL-82 in line from my 8 year old Becker ATC 4401 transponder. Chose that over the Uavoinics unit mostly because it enabled switching to or from anonymous mode with simple switch, no messing with smart phone if needed to do that in a hurry. For 7 years flying, transponder was flawless, but when married to the Garmin unit, would sometimes cause the transponder to show error E10 - ground plane error (in an all metal plane ?) It did that right in middle of my first attempt at qualifying flight for the rebate. Had to do it again couple of days later, got the rebate, but then problem got worse. The Becker simply did not like the forced marriage to the Garmin unit and was telling me: I want a divorce. Garmin said contact Becker. Becker was aware of the problem and could reset the limit for this error. The transponder got a nice paid trip from Winter in Western NY to warm Florida for a couple of days of marriage counseling. Becker's charge plus shipping was about $200. It now seems to work reliably but very little time on it since its return. Wish i had gone with it to Florida and mooched off nearby relatives with nice pool for a couple of days.

Hope all have a good Thanksgiving

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:50 am

Rofomoto wrote:Will any altitude encoder work with my Garmin gtx 327 transponder? I have all steam gauges and am thinking about the echo for adsb. Thanx Billy

Billy, any encoder should work if it’s accurate enough to provide the data the transponder needs to pass a Mode C check at an avionics shop. This is required every 24 months. Around Chicagoland that’s $150 for a ten minute test. Good gig to have....

Most encoders that I am aware of have an RS-232 data connection to the transponder - couple of wires at most (sometimes just one), plus power and ground.

They are cheap enough that buying a new one may save you headaches in the long run.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby RCfly46 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:49 am

For my new build, I'm using a Trig TT22 remote transponder in combination with a GRT Safe-Fly WAAS GPS and a GRT Sport EX EFIS. The EFIS has a dedicated port for the Trig, so it all works together seamlessly with the EFIS controlling the transponder. The Trig weighs just over 12 oz which is great. The Trig and Safe-Fly totaled about $2,700.

Only thing missing from this combo is ADS-B In. I've been using a Stratux in my Taylorcraft and it works great. GRT says the Stratux will feed the Sport EX (with a special serial adapter) but I haven't tried that yet. I believe I've read here that other builders have used it successfully.

Joe in SE Mich
Waiex 181 under construction
RCfly46

Postby Rofomoto » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:20 pm

Sonex1517 wrote:
Rofomoto wrote:Will any altitude encoder work with my Garmin gtx 327 transponder? I have all steam gauges and am thinking about the echo for adsb. Thanx Billy

Billy, any encoder should work if it’s accurate enough to provide the data the transponder needs to pass a Mode C check at an avionics shop. This is required every 24 months. Around Chicagoland that’s $150 for a ten minute test. Good gig to have....

Most encoders that I am aware of have an RS-232 data connection to the transponder - couple of wires at most (sometimes just one), plus power and ground.

They are cheap enough that buying a new one may save you headaches in the long run.

Thanx Robbie
Longassproject
Rofomoto

Postby Rick524 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:36 pm

Hi Billy, just a thought....if you already need an encoder, maybe you could get something
like an MGL ALT6 single altimeter. It fits in a 3 1/4" hole, gives you altitude, and outputs
encoder data to the GTX327.

Rick
Rick524

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:23 pm

RCfly46 wrote:Only thing missing from this combo is ADS-B In. I've been using a Stratux in my Taylorcraft and it works great. GRT says the Stratux will feed the Sport EX (with a special serial adapter) but I haven't tried that yet. I believe I've read here that other builders have used it successfully.

Joe in SE Mich

Joe, I did that in my Sonex and it worked great. Amazon sells USB RS-232 converters that work. As long as you have an open USB on your Stratux, this is fairly easy to do. PM me if you need specifics.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Rofomoto » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:35 pm

Rick524 wrote:Hi Billy, just a thought....if you already need an encoder, maybe you could get something
like an MGL ALT6 single altimeter. It fits in a 3 1/4" hole, gives you altitude, and outputs
encoder data to the GTX327.

Rick

That’s a great call. I’ll check it out. Thanx
Longassproject
Rofomoto

Postby gyroron » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:09 am

So my plane has the Trig T-21 transponder in it. And the MGL engine and MGL flight gauge package.

I was thinking of just going with the Echo UAT and their Sky FYX package. Seems to be a better alternative than the Nav or rear tail light beacons in that it is a little more involved with installation but gives you both ADS out and IN! price is 1400$

But someone on the FB group mentioned he was working with a avionics shop to use something through Trig. I called the shop and spoke to the head tech guy there and he told me I could ship my transponder to them for a free software update, and purchase a TN72 GPS and a remote antenna, and with that I would be ADS-B out legal. Basically about 450-500$ additional cost. Lucky me that the builder of the plane chose to use this Trig Transponder! 500$ beats spending 1400$ all day long.

I would have to spend more money to get a ADS-B in source if I wanted it, but honestly..... I am not concerned about having ADS in. I see no reason it would be bad, but whatever happened to just looking out the windows for traffic?
Ron Awad
Legacy Model Waiex TD
3300 Jabiru
Charlotte NC area
gyroron

PreviousNext

Return to Avionics and Instruments