iEfis Lite wiring

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

iEfis Lite wiring

Postby bvolcko38 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:34 pm

I am stumped...
I have downloaded and printed all the schematics I can find on the Discovery lite with SP6 and V6 radio. Where do I start? Never did a sub D connector before...
I haven't talked toMGL yet....I usually don't have much luck with any tech support verbally.
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Re: iEfis Lite wiring

Postby NWade » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Bill - I just completed the wiring of my Sonex with all MGl equipment (including V6, SP-6, and Discovery Lite) And I’d be happy to help if I can.

Do you have a general wiring diagram you’ve worked up for the whole airplane? Have you figured out where each component is going to be mounted in the airframe? Can you show me the schematic or photos of what’s going where and how you intend to daisy chain the RDAC & SP-6 (and Xpdr if you intend to also hook that in)? Did you buy any of the MGL wire harnesses? Are you going to have a push-to-talk switch for the passenger to speak on the radio, or just have passengers be on the intercom only? What about an aux audio input for music -is that important to you? Are you going to try to pipe the EFIS audio into your radio/headset? (These all have an impact on how you wire the radio)

Take care,

—Noel
P.S. Be advised that I’ve recently discovered my EFIS (a Discovery Lite) radiates a ton of noise that’s being picked up by the com antenna ~4-5 feet away. I would be careful about mounting your antenna anywhere with line of sight to your EFIS (you might want to test it for radiated noise by giving it power on the workbench and holding a handheld radio a couple of feet away to see how much interference it causes with the EFIS on vs. off. Note that if your shop/garage has fluorescent lights you’ll need to turn them off for this kind of bench test, as the lights create a bunch of radio interference)
NWade

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi bill, all,
A good place to start would be b&c aircraft electrical supply out of newton KS. Bill bainbridge and family run, a regular at oshkosh as a vendor. Buy a book called 'the aero electric' by bob nuckells. Will give you the basics about EAB aircraft wiring. Peruse thru the website. You will want to buy tools, ie ratchet crimper, d-sub crimper, strippers, coax tools, etc. they have d sub pins. U can use the solder type , or crimp type. Individual pins, male and female.
Im sure noel can give you solid advice for mgl specific info.
Be sure to use shielded wire for anything to do with the radio , intercom , headset jacks etc.
Yes we learned also that the efis throws out alot of noise, we worked a year on eliminating noise into the radio system. We have a dynon 7 in skyview.
Good luck on wiring your plane.
Lots to learn also fwf. The book is good at explaning how to wire it up. Components, wire sizes, etc.
Www.bandc.aero
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby bvolcko38 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:29 am

I bought a connector kit from B&C to do power and ground wiring....no problems there.

I just now discovered I neglected to buy the harness for the iEFIS!!! No wonder I am confused! I thought I had all the harnesses.

I did buy the V6 radio harness and the RDAC harness... money well spent.

I will be ordering the iEfis harness asap.

Thanks for the replyies...feeling kind of dumb..

BV
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Return to Avionics and Instruments