Discovery lite artificial horizon

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Discovery lite artificial horizon

Postby Brett » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:16 am

Has anyone with the discovery lite had the A/H react really slow. If I bank say at 30 degrees and maintain that turn it takes maybe 3-4 seconds to catch up. Does this for every angle. I didn't notice if the pitch was slow but will look next flight . It's never really worked so I haven't focused on it but I think its time to sort it out. I tried to have a play around in the settings to no avail. Been updated to the latest patch but has been the same since installed so I guess a setting somewhere. I haven't really played around with it much till now.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Re: Discovery lite artificial horizon

Postby Msing48 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:29 pm

My Discovery Lite did the same thing. Once I was able to talk to Matt, I tried everything he suggested with no improvement. After the unit was replaced, I got the same results and it is still that way. I have assumed that having my compass sensor mounted on top of the glareshield just forward of the Discovery might be the problem but haven't relocated it yet. Unfortunately, the documentation for this unit absolutely sucks so troubleshooting is difficult.
Msing48

Postby Msing48 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:33 pm

I forgot to mention that pitch response indication has been good (both units).
Msing48

Postby Brett » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:26 am

My compass module is in the fuse basically near where the seat belts attach. Compass works fine... I was wondering if it is something to do with the angle it is mounted in the dash being so tilted. I might try and mount it more vertical and make some sides for the screen. Maybe that setting about forcing it to read level when it clearly isn't affects its performance somewhat.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby Msing48 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:51 am

It is advertised to be able to work with the Sonex slanted panel.
Msing48

Return to Avionics and Instruments