MGL overheating

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

MGL overheating

Postby Titanium Cranium » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:35 pm

This morning during a short flight my MGL Stratomaster instruments started overheating and fading out. This happened within 20 minutes of pulling it out of the hangar, so it hadn't been sitting in the sun baking for a long time. I've been considering upgrading to the mini-extreme from MGL or possibly the MGL Discovery Lite, and now that I see how sensitive my current instruments are to warmer days, I'm leaning even more toward upgrading. I'm curious though, if any of you have noticed any overheating issues with your iEFIS systems from MGL like the lower end instruments have.
Tom Hilsdorf
N37YX
Dayton, OH
Titanium Cranium

Re: MGL overheating

Postby mike.smith » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:17 am

I have the Extreme Mini and have not seen any issues with overheating. I've flown on hot, hot days to and from OSH, and made the long taxis in the sun at OSH without any issues. My Nexus tablet over heated this weekend for the first time ever, but the Extreme Mini was fine. Thought the tablet is more exposed to direct sunlight.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby wlarson861 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:28 am

I have an Enigma and have flown in some hot weather on over 2 hour flights and never got any fade in the instruments. I've had my ipad shut down from heat and not restart until it cooled off.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby peter anson » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:49 am

I have the Stratomaster Ultra Horizon. If the aircraft is parked on a warm day in full sunshine the instrument will overheat after a while and the screen will go blank. I can make it readable again by reducing the contrast. It never happens while flying and I can prevent it happening on the ground by shading the Stratomaster. I have also had my iPad shut down while flying in hot weather and have had to keep it closed for extended periods.

Peter
peter anson

MGL overheating

Postby caveman370 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:15 pm

I have had my enigma go out 2 times. Once at a pancake flyin and once stopping on the way back from Oshkosh last year.
Bought a couple of mini computer fans to install above the panel. They are on my to do list still. Started using a sunshade too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caveman370

Postby vwglenn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:33 pm

I had Enigma overheat. It was on a fuel stop and it baked in direct sunlight while I used the bathroom and topped off. Now I make sure I cover it on hot days so it doesn't get too hot.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Return to Avionics and Instruments