MGL keypad stuck or failed?

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

MGL keypad stuck or failed?

Postby achesos » Tue May 09, 2017 1:41 pm

I have a low time MGL Stratomaster Ultra. (Long story)
Tried to adjust contrast after a normal power up a few days ago during my annual inspection. No response from keypad on either + or - buttons. Tried the other 2 buttons on the left side of unit to adjust altimeter; still no response. Right side buttons respond normally. Further poking revealed one button that just doesn't feel as though it debounces like the other 3 on the left side. My logic tells me that if this one is stuck (closed, I assume), that this may disable the unit's ability to respond to any switch on the left side, or the ribbon cable on this side has failed.
Contacted MGL tech support directly. They confirmed that they can replace the keypad for me or send me a new one for the same price minus shipping. I've replaced a few keypads in a former career, so no big deal I think.
Tough to get them to commit that this was likely the problem for any specific reason, after describing my symptoms. Unwilling to confirm or deny field issues with keypad membranes. I get it. Now there are touch screens...
My other alternative was to trade this one in on a Lite with $150 credit. Ouch. That touch screen bites back.

So, my questions for the forum are these:
Does anyone that has already upgraded have a used Ultra for sale?
Has anyone else suffered a keypad failure?

The real sour taste I have is that this failed prior to my first flight - probably powered up less than 5 hours total with programming, calibrations, engine run-ups, and taxi testing. I'm really choking on if I should upgrade to a color screen MGL Lite that is compatible with existing RDAC unit. Did I mention I haven't even flown it yet? And now I can't (still need a BFR and transition training too). Nuts.
Options are good I guess...

Suggestions from the gallery? Thanks in advance.
Sonex N857SX
AeroVee, Taildragger, Dual Stick
achesos

Re: MGL keypad stuck or failed?

Postby GWMotley » Wed May 10, 2017 9:16 am

I have an ultra we can discusss.
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Postby gammaxy » Wed May 10, 2017 12:36 pm

I have a Stratomaster Enigma with a keypad. It's been working fine for over 3 years and over 200 hours--not including some time it spent in a demonstration cockpit while owned by the previous owner.

If I were you, I'd open it up and make sure the connector is seated and check it with a multimeter, then order a new keypad if necessary. I don't think these keypads frequently go bad.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby Titanium Cranium » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:09 pm

I actually just had my MGL Stratomaster Maxi Single suffer from button problems. I never had to do anything other than adjust the altitude, which never gave me problems, but after upgrading my alternator, I needed to set my tachometer to read 6 pulses instead of 5. I haven't been able to set it because my enter button isn't working, and the + and - buttons aren't responding now. My instruments are the older style and only have about 90 hours on them, but they did sit unused in the plane between 2011 and when I bought it this past April. I'm not sure if that might have anything to do with the issues.
Tom Hilsdorf
N37YX
Dayton, OH
Titanium Cranium

Return to Avionics and Instruments