Love my Quiet Technologies "Halo" Headsets!

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Love my Quiet Technologies "Halo" Headsets!

Postby sonex1374 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:30 am

I purchased two headsets from Quiet Technologies at AirVenture this past year. These are "in-ear" style units, using a replaceable foam eartip similar to a disposable earplug. I was a bit hesitant to try them thinking that perhaps they would become uncomfortable after wearing them for a while. What I've found over the past few months is that comfort is outstanding!

The tips are molded out of soft, conforming foam and don't exert any undue pressure on your ears while wearing them. After a flight or two I was completely used to them. In fact, it took me several flights to adjust to the lack of weight and pressure from a normal headset - the Halos are so light you forget they're even on, and that felt quite unusual! These are super-lightweight and stay in place superbly. Even during aerobatics they never move, and beight so small and having no earcups or headband they never bump the canopy.

The sound quality is excellent, and if you stop by their booth at AirVenture you'll see the presentation about which frequencies the Halo blocks compared to traditional headsets, but I can honestly say that these just sound fantastic! Frankly, everyone has their marketing spiel and I was somewhat unconvinced from that alone. I'm glad I decided to try them out regardless.

If I sound like a cheerleader it's only because I'm completely satisfied with these headsets. If you're looking for a new headset, give serious consideration to the Halo. I think you'll enjoy them.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Re: Love my Quiet Technologies "Halo" Headsets!

Postby fastj22 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:20 am

I'll second Jeff's endorsement. Been flying a QT headset exclusively for 3 years. And It doesn't give me headset hair.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:34 am

I really like these as well! Been borrowing an older set from Mike Farley.

What settings are you guys using with your V6 Com radio to get the best sound and performance in the cockpit with these? I thought mine was dialed in correctly, then took my son flying for the first time last weekend - before I realized his microphone jack was inop I had messed all of my settings up trying to get his microphone to work.

thanks
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby 9GT » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:44 pm

Make sure the mic mouth side is facing correctly. They do have a tendency to twist around and you never know it when it is covered with the muff guard. The mic also needs to be close to the mouth. I found more so than any other headset I had including my Zulu's. My Halo's were my first choice whenever I flew. When the foam ear seals are rolled tightly and immediately inserted DEEP in the ear canal before they start to expand, the noise cancellation is better than the best ANR sets out there and on long flights, the comfort of not having your head in a vice is amazing. I sold my plane last August along with all 4 Zulu's, but I kept my set of Halo's for occasional flights in others planes. Flew 6 hours down to Florida last late August in my buddies Cozy MKIV. Man was I glad I kept them!.. I have no experience with the V6 com radio, but when I got my Garmin radios settings dialed in for the Zulu's, there was no difference in using the Halo's. If it was fine on the pilots side and not plugged into the passenger side,,,I would look for a wiring issue starting at the jacks. Good luck.
David Clifford
Howell & Gladwin, MI
RV-9A: Under Construction (I'm a repeat offender!)
RV-10: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2013 N959RV
Cozy MKIV: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2007 N656TE
9GT

Postby samiam » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:07 pm

I've been trying to buy one for the past six months. I check the website fairly regularly but they are always "on backorder."
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Postby gammaxy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:00 pm

If you contact them directly, they'll send an email when they aren't on backorder. If you get lucky like I did, you will randomly check the website during the short window that they aren't backordered and probably end up in front of several other customers.

The advice about twisting the microphone is good. I had mine for several flights before I realized it twists. Before that, I was having a terrible time getting the microphone to work well. It still seems to twist back to a bad orientation between flights.

I prefer my DRE 6001 ANR headset, but am still experimenting with the Halo.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby daleandee » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:26 pm

Last edited by daleandee on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby DCASonex » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:17 am

Also have the Clarity Aloft headsets. First got a used one for canopy clearance as Dale stated. Wife did not want anything to do with those things you stick in your ear. That is until she tried mine one day. Then had to purchase a second set - new, and has not worn the nice conventional noise canceling head set I had purchased for her since.

One suggestion, If not liking fit, or time required to insert those foam plugs, visit a hearing aid place and get a pair of custom ear molds made. Screw the tip of the ear pieces into short length of the tube in the ear mold that would usually connect to a behind the ear hearing aid. This avoids putting any stress on the small plastic tips of the ear pieces. Have hearing aid place make minimal molds that are easy to insert and remove, and drill vent hole in them.

For me, in the ear headsets are the only way to go in a Sonex.

David A. Sonex TD #1327
DCASonex

Postby kmwoody » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:47 am

I love my Halos also. Went flying yesterday, no heat, 24 degrees and I could wear a stocking hat.

Ken W
Sonex 959
kmwoody

Postby vwglenn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:11 pm

The biggest problem I've had with my Halo is forgetting I had it on and trying to climb out of the plane with it still plugged in.

I hope I never have to buy a conventional headset again.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Next

Return to Avionics and Instruments