iEFIS Lite?

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Re: iEFIS Lite?

Postby 13brv3 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:31 pm

Rynoth wrote:Well, it appears I just solved my rpm indication problem. I switched to the other lead from the alternator, now it works great. The wires aren't labeled, so it if doesn't work on one, try the other.

Good to hear Ryan. Thanks also for the panel picture. When I draw out the screen sizes on paper, the Discovery sure looks small, but it looks a lot bigger in your picture. For size comparison, which iPad is that?

I haven't heard anything to discourage me from buying the iEFIS Lite, so that's going to be the plan. I should be able to fit the larger Explorer version, but I don't see it listed anywhere other than the MGL site. Since I have some credit on my account with Sonex, and since there price is as good as any I've seen, I'll probably try to buy the package through them. I'll have to ask if they can get the Explorer size unit.

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby gammaxy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:42 pm

Rynoth wrote:Well, it appears I just solved my rpm indication problem. I switched to the other lead from the alternator, now it works great. The wires aren't labeled, so it if doesn't work on one, try the other.

What matters is not what lead of the alternator you connect to, but where that lead connects on the voltage regulator. One lead is directly tied to +12v at the regulator (notice the two tabs are physically connected together) so won't get you any significant signal.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby jjbardell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Ben,
Here you go. I have the wiring diagrams too. An A&P specializing in avionics helped simplify my panel. It significantly cut down panel space, weight, wiring and my panel is effectively my checklist now. Start on the left and just work your way right. Reverse for the end of the flight.

Right now I am on Garmin Pilot on the iPad mini for the gps, logbook, weather, traffic using a GDL-39 3D. The iPhone is also on the GDL as a 3rd synthetic vision backup.

To the right of the V6 is the stereo input with the MGL harness. The audio from the EFIS goes to Audio #1 on the harness and the iPad is going to Audio #2 in.

EFIS breaker runs the EFIS and RDAC and are always on with the master battery switch.

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 6.38.20 PM.png

Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 6.45.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 6.45.43 PM.png
Last edited by jjbardell on Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Postby jjbardell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:50 pm

Sorry, no idea why my one pic posted 3 times. I only loaded it once.
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Postby Rynoth » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:59 am

13brv3 wrote:
Good to hear Ryan. Thanks also for the panel picture. When I draw out the screen sizes on paper, the Discovery sure looks small, but it looks a lot bigger in your picture. For size comparison, which iPad is that?

Rusty

It's an iPad mini, 2nd Generation I think. I couldn't fit anything larger than the discovery into an unmodified Waiex panel due to the tilt of the panel and the lower crossbar (depth becomes an issue.) I don't believe the Onex has this issue since the panel is vertical. The iEfis is amazingly light and actually not very deep either.

If you can fit an Explorer I'd say go for it. The size of the Discovery is just large enough to be able to navigate the menus using the touchscreen, it couldn't be much smaller before you might tap the wrong item with large fingers. It works great but a tad bigger wouldn't hurt. It's a lot of information on one screen (which is what makes it neat!)
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby 13brv3 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:03 am

Rynoth wrote:It's an iPad mini, 2nd Generation I think. I couldn't fit anything larger than the discovery into an unmodified Waiex panel due to the tilt of the panel and the lower crossbar (depth becomes an issue.) I don't believe the Onex has this issue since the panel is vertical. The iEfis is amazingly light and actually not very deep either.

If you can fit an Explorer I'd say go for it. The size of the Discovery is just large enough to be able to navigate the menus using the touchscreen, it couldn't be much smaller before you might tap the wrong item with large fingers. It works great but a tad bigger wouldn't hurt. It's a lot of information on one screen (which is what makes it neat!)

Great info! You're right about the Onex panel. The only restriction is the depth, but it should be plenty for the iEFIS. The Explorer should fit easily in the stock panel, and I could even customize a panel to fit the Challenger size if they were available. Probably a good thing they're not :-)

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby XenosN42 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:22 am

I agree with the other comments – the MGL iEFIS products are great. I have used the Enigma (older technology) in my Xenos for 5 years and the Explorer in my Onex this past year. I’ve attached the SP-6 compass sensor, SP-7 attitude sensor, FT-90 fuel flow sensor, V6 COM radio, & Sandia Remote mode C transponder. I recently installed a downward facing camera which is displayed on the Explorer screen. Very cool and only cost 20 bucks extra.

MGL tech support is great. The manuals aren’t great however. Everything is there, but it’s obvious that they weren’t looked at by a professional editor. I found the installation to be quite straightforward. Do yourself a favor and set everything up on a workbench before actually installing in your aircraft.

My panel.

-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby 13brv3 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Very cool! I see that's a full iEFIS and not the Lite version, but the screen size should be the same. I couldn't resist emailing MGL to ask about the Challenger Lite ETA.

On another subject, I see your fuel markings on the rear of the tank. I never thought about being able to see the actual fuel level through the plastic, but with some back lighting, I bet you can. It might be worth mounting a light under there just for that purpose. Funny, but the fuel level "instrument" could be a hole in the panel to see the rear of the tank :-) Seriously though, just being able to verify the last couple gallons would be comforting compared to relying on any other type of measurement.

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby MikePousson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:22 pm

Does anyone have in feedback on the iLevil products that sits under the panel or one that sits on the top of the panel. They integrate all the efis, GPS, ADS-B, etc into a small unit that wi-fi with an iPAD or Android tablet or phone. With as little space on the panel of a Onex as there is, it would seem to be a good option.

http://www.aviation.levil.com/products.html
MikePousson

Postby 13brv3 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:36 pm

I hadn't seen the ilevel stuff before, but it looks interesting.

FWIW, MGL doesn't have an ETA yet for the Challenger Lite version, but it sounds like it will be sooner rather than later. If it makes it out, I think I'll probably modify the panel to make it tall enough to fit the Challenger size, and that will pretty much be the whole panel. Hopefully it doesn't go dark in flight one day :o

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

PreviousNext

Return to Avionics and Instruments