ADS-B Weather and Traffic for less than $120

Discussion of Avionics and Flight Instruments. Such as: EFIS, EIS, GPS, COM, NAV, Antennas, Audio Panels, Steam Gauges

Re: ADS-B Weather and Traffic for less than $120

Postby Bruce593SX » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:55 am

I used this in flight yesterday on the way to the Great Southern Sonex Gathering and it performed on par with my Dual XGPS170! worked very easily on ships power, the only thing that it needs is a higher amp USB adapter (one made for tablets is best) and a shorter, thicker micro USB cable also helps.

I'm not sure if the FAA has jumped the gun in south Texas and turned on 978 mhz all the time? or I just was lucky and somewhat nearby an ADSB out plane, but I got good traffic and weather the whole trip on both the Stratux and the Dual..

Here is a screenshot using Wingx and about $90 worth of equipment comprising the Stratux:

lots of traffic and lots of weather... mostly staying off to the NW for now anyway.

Here is another shot for comparison using the $500 Dual XGPS170 on the trip home.

appears to me to be the exact same view... This is also a good screen to show why having weather in the cockpit will save your ass... If i had not had some type of weather in the cockpit yesterday afternoon, I very well might have spent a few hours waiting in San Marcos for this all to pass...

The developer of this solution has put together a simpler URL to find the most current info, go to http://www.Stratux.me for simple instructions.
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Postby samiam » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Thanks for posting your experiences here. I have been on the fence about the Stratux (and have been considering buying a $500+ model for a while now) but given how straightforward it seems, I think it's time to bite the bullet. The ability to get weather in flight is just too valuable on XC trips.
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Postby chris » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:49 pm

I just put together one of these 2 sdr units... any suggestions on how to make a neat enclosure for this mess? I thought I would test it out in my kitchen and post some results here. I am using Avare on an android tablet.

Here are a couple of examples of traffic on screen matching up with traffic above my house.

I should also note that I just watched a plane land that did not show up on my map. This is great information to have in the cockpit, but it doesn't show everybody. Keep your eyes outside.

All of the dots indicate ADSB Metars:

Chris
Sonex 1409
Slowly Scratch Building
Site Owner/Admin
chris
Site Admin

Postby Sonex1517 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:29 am

Chris

I bought a Raspberry Pi on Amazon when this first came out - the Pi came with a plastic housing. It is functional but not pretty or well ventilated.

If you dig around on Reddit there is some discussion of this subject and I believe EAA also did a 3-D printed case. I think it actually melted when left on the the instrument panel in the sun.

In other words there is no standard case.

To your point about traffic - I fly outside the Chicago Mode C veil, and I do not have a transponder. So no one with a traffic system will see me. I have had traffic alerts and seen a lot of the traffic - not always. I also see a lot of traffic that never appears on the display. Your point is a great one - make no assumptions.

A local pilot once told me he knew where all the traffic was because it was on his iPad - when I explained why that was not true, he was stunned. It is not going to show all traffic, even those with Mode C or ADS-B.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby fastj22 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:14 am

I've been flying with my Dual 170 ADS-B in for 2 years. Traffic shows up a lot more now than it did 2 years ago. I guess we are having more planes activate the system. But I'm also amazed when flying under the Bravo airspace of denver. Usually I'll see the bee hives around the airports, then poof, everyone disappears. When you see traffic on the scope, its great, but even then not everyone shows up. They have to have a transponder and be "seen" by ATC radar and the system must be activeated. Of course, those broadcasting ADS-B out will always be seen. That's the motivator for me to get a compliant out system this year. Keeping an eye on NavWorx.

Just purchased the Raspberry Pi solution to play with. I have other projects I want to do with it as well, but decided to just get all the pieces to have a backup ADS-B in too. And its dual band, unlike my "Dual". Go figure.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby fastj22 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:43 pm

Pi update. I got my Raspberry Pi and stuff, literally just plugged everything in, found the STRATUX wifi on my iPad and everything just came up and started displaying ADS-B and GPS on WINGX. This was easier than dealing with my Dual.
Those of you who might be a bit intimidated by the home built electronics, this one is real simple.
Everything from Amazon was around $129 and bundled together. I did buy the GPS module from GLONASS too, $20 I think.
Gonna try and fly with it after the storms abide.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby fastj22 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:41 pm

PIREP.
Finally flew the Raspberry Pi Stratux in my plane today. Its much better than my Dual ADSb 170XL, no bluetooth sync, I see both 1090 and 900 traffic. Putting the Dual up for sale at the Aeromart at OSH unless one of you want it for $350. New is $550.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby vwglenn » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:50 am

Hmmm...I have the Dual 170 and I see traffic with it all the time. I bought it local off Craigslist and even driving home with wingX brought up on my phone, I saw all the departures out of ATL. Got warnings as I drove past the airport too. I was really surprised how well it worked on the ground.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

ADS B Weather and Traffic for less than 120

Postby Garrettor » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:52 am

I am partial to the Garmin Aera series. I have the 500 and really like it. It will make the transition from my model 4 to the new 7 Super Sport project.

I also have the newest Ipad Air 2 with Stratus for synthetic vision and ADS-B in traffic and weather that will go in the 7 SS on the right side of the panel. MGLs new Explorer-Lite will reside on the pilot side.
Several of my local Kitfox friends use and enjoy the Garmin 500 Aera. Easy to jump in each others aircraft and feel at home with the GPSs all the same.
Garrettor

ADS-B Weather and Traffic for less than $120

Postby Sonex1517 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:21 pm

It might be my opinion only, but I am going out on a limb and guessing that costs a tad more than $120.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

PreviousNext